Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Sony Vaio Pro 13 DualBoot (Win 8 + Ubuntu Trusty 14.04) SecureBoot Wifi LVM

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Sony Vaio Pro 13 DualBoot (Win 8 + Ubuntu Trusty 14.04) SecureBoot Wifi LV

Hi,

After some update the bcdedit fix stop working... no matter the settings used in bcdedit

• Insert the Ubuntu bootable USB
    • Turn Vaio on using the ASSIST button
    • Select Boot from external drive
    • Select "Try Ubuntu without installing"
    • Ctrl + Alt + T to open a new terminal
    • sudo su to become root
    • mount /dev/sda3 /mnt to mount the efi partition
    • cd /mnt/EFI
    • cp ubuntu/* Microsoft/Boot/. to copy the contents of ubuntu efi boot to the Windows path
    • cd Microsoft/Boot/ to enter the Windows EFI path
    • mv bootmgfw.efi bootmgfw_win.efi to preserve the Windows boot manager
    • mv shimx64.efi bootmgfw.efi so the make the system believe it is loading Windows, but it is going to load grub
    • reboot, you should now see the grub boot menu and you can boot Ubuntu
    • Boot ubuntu
    • Open a new terminal sudo su to become root
    • Now we are going to create a new grub entry for Windows, using the new bootmgfw.efi name: gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    • Look for the entry under the os-prober section and copy it, it must be something like this:

Code:
    menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (en /dev/sda3)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-C6B9-3FEA' {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod fat
        set root='hd0,gpt3'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3  C6B9-3FEA
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root C6B9-3FEA
        fi
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    set timeout_style=menu
    if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    fi

• We are now to create a new grub custom entry with this data: gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and paste what you just copy, then replace the chainloader parameter for bootmgfw_win.efi You should end up with something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (en /dev/sda3)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-C6B9-3FEA' {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod fat
        set root='hd0,gpt3'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3  C6B9-3FEA
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root C6B9-3FEA
        fi
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw_win.efi
    }
    set timeout_style=menu
    if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    fi

• Now we are going to disable the os-prober script: chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    • Finally we are going to update grub, run: update-grub
    • Reboot: You should see the grub menu and start Ubuntu or Windows.
    • Optionally, you can set the Windows bootmgr paramether back to the original bootmgfw.efi
    • In windows start a command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator
    • Enter this command: bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    • Reboot, everything should work now...

CVC
    Last edited by vargax; August 20th, 2014 at 02:10 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Sony Vaio Pro 13 DualBoot (Win 8 + Ubuntu Trusty 14.04) SecureBoot Wifi LV

Hi, I just followed the steps to dual boot in sony VAIO with windows 8 preinstalled. And while this I am stuck in step 3.4, I did not get the option of external boot(but i got icons of -start troubleshooting, start from media, contact and support, start bios setup, start from network). In this case what should I select... can you please help me. I really want to learn coding by installing Ubuntu...

Beans

Hi shwethashree,
    First you have to make sure the USB you are using is bootable, check this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows
    Shut down the PC
    Connect the USB while the PC is off
    Press the Assist button
    Select the bottom left option in the menu, it says something like "boot from and external device".

Beans

Hi shwethashree,
    First you have to make sure the USB you are using is bootable, check this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows
    Shut down the PC
    Connect the USB while the PC is off
    Press the Assist button
    Select the bottom left option in the menu, it says something like "boot from and external device".

Beans

Hello all of you!

I tried to follow the guide to install Dualboot ubuntu next to my Windows 8.
    i did complete the install but when I reboot my PC it simply goes staight to Windows. i followed the tutorial completing all steps, and i dont know what i can do to get to ubuntu ?

Help me pls!

Tom

Beans

Hi Tom,

Follow the instructions in post #11 until step 7 (mount /dev/sda3 /mnt to mount the efi partition), then:

Code:
    cd /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot
    ls -la
    and post the output of that command...

Usually after each update Windows changes the bootmgfw.efi file back to its original file. You can check if this is your case looking for the size of the file... if bootmgfw.efi and bootmgfw_win.efi have the same size it is because Windows had changed the file again. To solve this just copy the shimx64.efi file back:

Code:
    cp /mnt/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    CVC

Beans

finally found a solution suggestion for my problem(after installing linux- i see it nowhere) but it doesn't work with me .. what i did was to go in the live version to do the 7 steps of post #11 .. at command "mount dev/sda3 /mnt i get this error "mount:special device dev/sda3 does not exist".
    also i tried this command with sda, sda1 and so on (when this matters), always same error ... what can i do now?

Beans

Hi jade2,

Looks like you omit the / preceding the dev line. Try again with mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

Beans

same error: "mount: can't find /dev/sda3/mnt in /etc/fstab or etc/mtab "

Beans

You have to put a space between sda3 and /mnt ... please check the command in the post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast