Thread: linux kernel 3.15-rc8 .deb files are ready...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

linux kernel 3.15-rc8 .deb files are ready...

Beans

Re: linux kernel 3.15-rc8 .deb files are ready...

Phoronix is reporting that Linus is pretty happy with this one but wants it testing before calling it final. Also due to his family holidays coming up shortly, the 3.16 merge window is already open.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Worrall View Post
    Phoronix is reporting that Linus is pretty happy with this one but wants it testing before calling it final<...snip...>.
    And so am I. Been running it for a couple of hours now, and so far everything is cruising along nicely
    Code:
    ~$ lsb_release -a && uname -r
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu Utopic Unicorn (development branch)
    Release:	14.10
    Codename:	utopic
    3.15.0-031500rc8-generic

Beans
    Distro

If you want to be on latest kernel in Utopic than there is so far no point in using Mainline Kernel PPA because the kernels provided in repository are already based on latest RC releases of 3.15.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/utopic/...ux/3.15.0-5.10

linux (3.15.0-5.10) utopic; urgency=low

[ Tim Gardner ]

* Release Tracking Bug
    - LP: #1325596
    * [Config] CONFIG_POWERNV_CPUFREQ=y for ppc64el
    * rebase to v3.15-rc8

[ Upstream Kernel Changes ]

* rebase to v3.15-rc8
    -- Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:59:34 +0000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed this kernel the other day on my ubuntu 14.04 to hopefully solve the multimedia instability problems i have discussed in another thread here which was originally solved with the 3.13 kernel but got messed up again on a recent kernel update on 14.04....when i ran a live session of 14.10 using the 3.15 kernel i noticed that it took care of those problems on my particular hardware, so i took a chance and installed 3.15 RC8 on my 14.04 install and i am pleased to report it worked beautifully

The 3.15 RC8 seems to work great, gives me the stability again that i needed and seems to have other benefits too (very snappy performance and lower ram usage to name two of them)...

Just wondering...i know LTS will get the utopic kernel also (which will probably be 3.16 when released) does that happen in 14.04.1 or not until 14.04.2? Anyone know?
    Also, this is the mainline kernel i installed of course...what are the differences between the mainline and the ubuntu version of it (if any)?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    The 3.15RC kernels actually started with Trusty. We had the 3.13 default and the 3.14RC and 3.15RC all going at the same time. The repositories completely jumped the 3.14 kernel for both Trusty and Utopic. This kernel thing for me is sometimes a problem solver and sometimes a toy [something to test]. The minumum point that I can decern is that I'm not waiting on the repositories for the update. But to say that the repos are consistant with the RC Releases isn't true [all of the time]. This link http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ tells the tale. We had three kernels running in April of 2014 all for Trusty while the repositories stayed with 3.13.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

3.15 has been released ( https://www.kernel.org/ ), not in the mainline just yet
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; June 8th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post