Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusty Tahr Incremental Releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Trusty Tahr Incremental Releases

I installed 14.04 when it came out...i am a bit confused how it works on the point (incremental) upgrades...

1) do they come in through the software updater or do you have to install something to get them?
    2) what about the newer kernels? I read something about a hardware stack that you have to do manually to get the newer kernels from say, 14.10 and on...how is that done? do you have to install that manually?
    3) I got the impression on the 12.04 wiki that the hardware stack (kernels) are only available for 32 bit...will it be available for 64 bit as well for 14.04?

Hope some of you guys can un-confuse me...
    in the past i always moved into each new version and was considering staying with LTS...that is why i am not familiar with this...

Beans

Re: Trusty Tahr Incremental Releases

You don't get the LTS Enablement Stacks unless you manually install them or do an fresh install from the point releases.

Updating in the normal manner through the life of 14.04 will keep you current and up to date but on the 3.15 series kernel.

Same rules apply for 32 bit and 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The point releases are produced incrementally - this eases re-installs. If you keep up with software updater, or use apt-get, or use aptitude your installation should be up to date.
    I believe version 12.04 was available both 32 and 64 bit.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    The point releases are produced incrementally - this eases re-installs. If you keep up with software updater, or use apt-get, or use aptitude your installation should be up to date.
    For example, from my Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS) installation (I've used only Synaptic to keep it up-to-date):

Code:
    $ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
    Release:	12.04
    Codename:	precise

Beans
    Distro

Ok...i get that now...just keep up to date with the ubuntu updater and i will be square with the point releases...
    Regarding the hardware stack to get the newer kernels...how do you do that manually? (what kind of commands do you put in the terminal)....and is it reliable? What i mean is you don't have to worry about borking your system or causing any problems? And are they released at the same time that they release the new incremental isos?

Beans

The point releases only upgrade the kernel and the x-stack as far as I know. It would only make sense if you also upgrade your hardware. But if 14.04.x already works and works well on your hardware is there really a point to go for 14.04.x+1? (other than testing for regressions)

On the other hand the applications never get upgraded. If you install Ubuntu 12.04.4 today it is still the same version of unity, the same version of compiz, the same version of LibreOffice.. (well Firefox does get updated) as they were two years ago with the same old bugs which have been long fixed upstream and the same limitations which have long been overcome in newer releases. I don't expect them to backport everything, but at least for Unity and the default applications. If I keep a LTS for more than 18 months it would be because of ppas, not because of Canonical's "support" of stale and often buggy software that outlives its life.

So I really don't see any reason for great excitement.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 2nd, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I hear you...well perhaps then for me it might just be best to continue upgrading into each new 6 month release since i have had very good results when i do upgrades using the option to do that on the iso installer...
    in that way i roll into each new version with the newest features, apps and kernels all included...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I hear you...well perhaps then for me it might just be best to continue upgrading into each new 6 month release since i have had very good results when i do upgrades using the option to do that on the iso installer...
    in that way i roll into each new version with the newest features, apps and kernels all included...
    Yeah, maybe so. I didn't know about these LTS Enablement Stacks before seeing this thread, but I'd think that most people who prefer to stick with LTS releases (like me) are not concerned about keeping up with the newest kernels.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I would probably keep 14.04 for a bit longer because I expect a lot of breakage and feature loss when Mir + Unity8 roll out.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

In 12.04 I always got the xserver and kernel packages as updates, never had to manually upgrade anything. I also would not be in any hurry to upgrade to 14.10, MIR and Unity 8 will take time to mature and I would expect quite a few bugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast