Thread: Disable accordion effect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Disable accordion effect?

Ye Gods, is there any way to disable the ugly accordion effect in the Unity Launcher?? It's like being stabbed in the eye with a fork. How could anyone think this was a good idea?

I've just installed 14.04 on a new box and can't believe how awful this is. On my 12.04 machine extra icons on the launcher just scroll out of sight and I'd much prefer to have that behavior back.

Is there no hope?

Beans

Re: Disable accordion effect?

Try apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/drawers/ (paid or free).
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've heard of that, but it's only a workaround - it does not disable anything.

Beans

Well I think it is a great idea. If you don't like it then just don't put so many programs on the launcher bar.

Beans
    Hidden!

You could also reduce the launchbar width to make more icons fit into the vertical height you have.

However, I don't really see what the big difference is between the accordion effect you get now and the older version where the bottom icons just disappear from view; in both you have to mouse over to get them to show again.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Removing unused mountable volumes helps along with removing rarely used applications . Getting rid of redundancies helps also , example , system settings and mail can be accessed from the top panel , so there is no reason to have them on the launcher. Libre Office can be reduced to one icon by using the main page instead of individual icons . I find that after installation the software has little reason to be on the panel along with the Amazon icon. My HP has volumes for Windows based tools that are unusable from the Ubuntu side yet appear in the launcher upon installation.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Disable 3d-compositing.
    Figure out how to do that, and you should lose the accordion effect.

That said, I prefer the accordion to the long line of apps, that run on forever.
    If you have 50+ apps on the launcher, it's quicker to pinpoint the one you want.
    (note, most users don't need or have 50+ apps, but adding as many is possible)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Disable 3d-compositing.
    Figure out how to do that, and you should lose the accordion effect.

That said, I prefer the accordion to the long line of apps, that run on forever.
    If you have 50+ apps on the launcher, it's quicker to pinpoint the one you want.
    (note, most users don't need or have 50+ apps, but adding as many is possible)
    And better than gnome shell where the icons become tiny when you have may be 6-7 items pinned on the dock, not sure what will happen if you put 50+. Maybe become invisible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    And better than gnome shell where the icons become tiny when you have may be 6-7 items pinned on the dock, not sure what will happen if you put 50+. Maybe become invisible?
    On precise-gnome-shell I can only get 22 icons, then it adds them but they don't show.
    On trusty-gnome-shell I can only add 15 icons, then the rest hide under the app icon.
    I don't know if shell's dock has a scroll function or not, but for me it does not.

That said, on precise-unity I don't normally realize how many apps I actually use consistently until I accidentally boot into unity-2d.
    Where as on normal unity launching any app is a simple matter of moving the mouse pointer to it and clicking, with unity-2d I need to scroll down(slowly) until I find it. That annoys me. /rant
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful