Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live CD restarts after a few seconds.

Beans

Live CD restarts after a few seconds.

I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 on a desktop that already has Windows 7 on it. I've partitioned the drive to give Ubuntu 50 GB. From what I've read, it's better to install Windows 7, then Ubuntu afterward. The problem is that every time I boot the computer from my Ubuntu Live CD, it shows the Ubuntu load screen, then restarts and send me to the screen with four choices ("Try Ubuntu without Installing", "Install Ubuntu", "Factory Install (OEM)" and "Check disk for errors").

I've read that people have had this same problem with previous editions (12.04), and the fix they had for that one was to install the alternate version. But I would really like to install 14.04.

Also, I have had Ubuntu on this computer before. That was before I installed Windows and it was 13.04 32 bit. It's a new computer with 8 GB of ram and a 3.6 GHz processor and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, so I think I should be able to run the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, right?

By the way, I've tried using two different Live CDs, and a few Live USBs. I've downloaded the ISO's via direct download and from the torrent. I'm not too sure what to do.

What can I do?

= = =
    Little update... When I put in the Ubuntu with Gnome live CD I made, while Windows is running, I can install Ubuntu from within Windows using wubi.exe, but then when it restarts it'll go into Ubuntu for a bit but then it says that it can't find the root folder.

I'm trying to reinstall it now with the root folder in a separate partition.

Last edited by mörgęs; May 29th, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Two posts edited into one

Beans

Re: Live CD restarts after a few seconds.

Update 2:

Whenever I install Ubuntu via Wubi, when I restart later, it won't boot (not even into Windows) and says BOOTMGR is missing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Wubi is a project that has been abandoned. Please steer clear of it. Really sorry for giving such vital information this late.

Important: Please specify your computer hardware (Processor, Graphics, RAM) as much as you can.

The problem is that every time I boot the computer from my Ubuntu Live CD, it shows the Ubuntu load screen, then restarts and send me to the screen with four choices ("Try Ubuntu without Installing", "Install Ubuntu", "Factory Install (OEM)" and "Check disk for errors").
    Did you try choosing 'Try Ubuntu' from that screen and was again rebooted?

Try Pressing F6 on that screen, it will open a small dialogue box, choose 'nomodeset' option from there and select "Try Ubuntu" see if you end up with a live session.
    Look at this page with screenshots.

Does your machine have UEFI boot ?
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

My computer specs are...
    3.6 GHz AMD with Radeon onboard graphics
    MSI motherboard
    and 8 GB ram
    1 TB HHD

My machine does have UEFI boot.

I'm looking at that page now... Thank you for your help. I'll be back with the results from your suggestions...

Beans

I have tried the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option, by the way. It goes to the purple loading screen, but then just goes back to the black screen where you choose the four options again (Try, install, OEM install, or check disk for errors).

Also, I've pressed F6 on the black choice screen, but nothing happens...

I'm still checking out that link you posted though...

Beans

I think the second thing (on that link you sent me) looks like it's working!!!! su:bhatta, I love you. I guess the video card drivers were the issue. :-/

I can now try Ubuntu without installing!

One more question... When I try to install Ubuntu, it doesn't recognize my Windows 7 operating system. I used Gparted to set up a 20GB partition to install Ubuntu on...

So, on the installation type screen, I chose, "Something else"
    On the next screen, should I select the partition I want to install Ubuntu on, then use as, "EFI boot partition"? I'm not too sure how the boot process will be effected. Will I still be able to boot into Windows after?

Beans

So I mounted the partition I'm installing Ubuntu on at "/" and selected EXT4 for the format. For the larger storage partition, I selected NTSF. I'm installing Ubuntu now... I'm wondering how the dual booting works...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Again, I seem to be late with my response.
    With Ubuntu dual booting, you will get a GRUB screen on start up which will list the available OS's in your HDD to which you can boot the system.
    Use arrow keys on the Grub screen to navigate to the OS of your choice.

NTFS for the larger partiton is the best idea as both Windows and Ubuntu can access it.
    Ext4 partitions are 'invisible' to Windows.

I am not at all well versed with UEFI, but here's some links that will help you.
    In case the installation goes fine but you face problems when you reboot, start a new thread and mark this one as 'Solved' using the 'Thread Tools' at the top right of the page.
    There are enough people here to help you for UEFI problems (am not naming any, but there will be assistance for sure)

What Radeon card do you have, the exact specs if provided will be helpful.
    After installation, search from Dash (i.e. the first icon on the dock, or whatever they call it in Unity, left of your screen) 'Software and Updates'
    There one tab should be 'Additional Drivers' search for additional drivers(for your graphics card), will take some time and list you options available.
    Choose the proprietory drivers and you should be good to go(generally fglrx-updates work nicely, never have failed me at least).

Welcome to the world of 'Linux for Humans'
    Last edited by su:bhatta; May 29th, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Yeah, now it's only booting from Ubuntu. :-/

Beans

Okay... This issue is totally solved. Thank you again! You are awesome. I'm gonna mark it as solved now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast