Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Exclamation Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I successfully followed the tutorial up to step 2 then I got stuck at step 3: when I make "lsusb" I don't get anything about my phone. Actually, the output is the same whether the phone is connected or not:

Code:
    max@max-HP-Stream-Notebook-PC-13:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b001 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05c8:036e Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink) Webcam
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    max@max-HP-Stream-Notebook-PC-13:~$
    My phone is a Huawei G Play Mini (model number: CHC-U01, Android 4.4.2).

I'm using Ubuntu Studio 14.04.

Code:
    max@max-HP-Stream-Notebook-PC-13:~$ uname -a
    Linux max-HP-Stream-Notebook-PC-13 3.19.0-66-lowlatency #74~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 19 22:04:11 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Max
    Last edited by massimiliano-polito; August 18th, 2016 at 03:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Try a different cable; are you using the USB cable that came with the phone?

I have a Huawei phone and the connection works fine after following this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Try a different cable; are you using the USB cable that came with the phone?

I have a Huawei phone and the connection works fine after following this thread.
    Sorry for the delay. I was not notified about your answer.

Honestly, I can't remember which is the original cable, I've got some cables and they look to me all the same. I tried with a couple of them always with the dame (bad) result.

I'm now trying to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu version to see if this can help.

Thanks.

Bye,
    Max

Beans

I tried following the tutorial to connect my Kindle Fire Gen2 to my system running 14.04. In "normal" mode, it will connect via MTP after I swipe the Kindle and enter the screen unlock code. This is same behavior when I try to hook up any other Android / Apple device. The problem is I want to connect in Fastboot mode, but in fastboot the Kindle has no "unlock" screen.

The error I get is {
    gde061@TP-E530-laptop:~$ mtpfs
    Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.Listing raw device(s)
    Device 0 (VID=1949 and PID=0007) is a Amazon Kindle Fire (ID1).
    Found 1 device(s):
    Amazon: Kindle Fire (ID1) (1949:0007) @ bus 1, dev 3
    Attempting to connect device
    LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to find interface & endpoints of device
    Unable to open raw device 0
    I have installed android-tools-fastboot from the SW center (as well as android-tools-adb)... and adb seems to work fine in "normal" mode.

How do I get this device to mount in fastboot mode so I can use fastboot commands?

Beans

I solved the problem upgrading to 16.04, nothing else worked.

Beans

the quality and length of the cable you use to connect are of *critical* importance

Beans

What a wonderful tutorial! everything is explained in perfect detail and with admirable clarity.
    THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH.
    Everything worked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by av10191 View Post
    What a wonderful tutorial! everything is explained in perfect detail and with admirable clarity.
    THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH.
    Everything worked.
    I did this for Motorola G4 Play (Unlocked GSM) and after following all the tutorial it did not work. Using Ubuntu-Gnome 16 LTS

Then I went into developer options and changed the "Select USB Configuration" to PTP Picture Transfer Protocol. After I did that I was able to see the DCIM and pictures folder. THen I went in and changed the same setting back to MTP and voila! It is working now.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE STEPS IN THIS TUTORIAL
    : Recommend to people running the recent version of Linux to just try going into Developer Options (inside android) and toggling the setting from MTP to PTP and then back to MTP. Maybe that is all you actually need to do (Maybe, give it a shot)

Tags: Motorola G4 Play Linux USB connect connection

Beans

Hello Genius / Einstein,
    YOU ARE GREAT !!!!! I searched for ages for a functioning routine for my old stupid Android HTC-Sense mobile. And I
    found nothing at all, also nothing worked. Til, today, totally depressed I saw your text and I tried it. AND ????
    Great, it worked on the 1st try. Have many many " Thank You ", you are famous.
    cheers Toni
    PS: I use Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

After struggling for days with MTP and then using FTP over WiFi (FileZilla), I came across this thread today. Copying about 2600 MP3's to my laptop used to take more than 12 hours over MTP. After following these instructions it took ... drum roll and trumpet fanfare please... 10 minutes!
    My eternal heartfelt thanks to write_mem.
    BTW I'm new to Linux and run Mint 18.3 Cinnamon kernel 4.10.0-38 on a Lenovo Ideapad 110. Very very satisfied!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213