Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Beans

Re: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Reading the plights of many of the posters makes me realize how lucky I am to live in Austin, Texas, where there is competition among Internet service providers. We have: Time-Warner, AT&T U-verse, Grande, and Google is laying fiber for service to begin in about 8 months.

I'm a very happy customer of Grande Communications, from whom in February I started using 1 Gb fiber service to my router; that's 1 Gb downloading and uploading.

Time-Warner locally offers 1 Gb service for a higher price than Grande charges, and Google's future service will also be 1 Gb. I don't know what AT&T U-verse is currently offering; I pay no attention to them, after dropping them about 3 years ago because of their simply terrible customer service.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I live in a very rural area, and I have three choices: Dialup, Satellite, or Verizon 4G wireless. We had Wild Blue satellite for a number of years, but not only was the service slow and the bandwidth limited, they were constantly attributing bandwidth to us that we had not used -- we were even unplugging the dang modem and they were still accumulating it! Now we're on a Verizon 4G jetpack. Much faster, but still very limited on bandwidth. But at least they count it honestly.

We would love to have about two or three times the bandwidth that we do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What amuses and annoys me is that one of the TV ads for the ISP I use happily tell me that I have a choice between ADSL, VDSL and fibre for my landline. This isn't exactly true: in my street there's a choice between dial-up and ADSL, with VDSL and fibre not due to be available until mid 2015 at the earliest; this is the case regardless of which ISP I choose to go with.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags - Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    Never assume that the information provided by Dr Google is up-to-date or relevant.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Reading the plights of many of the posters makes me realize how lucky I am to live in Austin, Texas, where there is competition among Internet service providers. We have: Time-Warner, AT&T U-verse, Grande, and Google is laying fiber for service to begin in about 8 months...
    I am surprised there aren't more choices in Austin, Texas. As the state capital I would have expected all the providers to what to provided the best service to the lawmakers of the state.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I am surprised there aren't more choices in Austin, Texas. As the state capital I would have expected all the providers to what to provided the best service to the lawmakers of the state.
    The state government has nothing to do with Internet and cable television service in Austin.

These services are controlled through licenses issued by the municipal government. This is the typical pattern of licensing of such services throughout the United States.
    Last edited by rewyllys; June 4th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why yes I am..It's Suddenlink.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    The state government has nothing to do with Internet and cable television service in Austin...
    I think you may get an idea of what I was referring to if you Google Texas state laws governing ISP.

Edit: I choose to be vague in my posts because discussion of politics is not acceptable on this forum.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; June 6th, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans

I herewith apologize, not only to Old_Grey_Wolf, but also to anyone else who finds that I engaged in a discussion of politics when I made a statement regarding the level of government (e.g., municipal, county, state) that, in Texas, exercises jurisdiction over licensing of providers of Internet and cable-television services. I believed, and still do believe, that my statement was solely factual and did not intrude into areas of advocacy, opposition, or other forms of partisan politics. Certainly, my intention was only to be factual, not argumentative.
    Last edited by rewyllys; June 6th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@rewyllys

No reason to apologize. I nor anyone else that I am aware of thought that you engaged in a discussion of politics. I simply meant that I was avoiding doing so.

I hope the forum community can get this thread back on topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am satisfied with my fiber optic through CenturyLink. I used to have Comcast and part of the time it sucked. There were periods where the speed would slow to a crawl and last 3-4 hours but on this I dont get that happening.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast