Thread: Trusty dpkg error?

Beans

Trusty dpkg error?

No idea what happened here but I'd just completed a fresh install of Ubuntu Trusty i386, booted the new OS w/o a problem, then began to apply the updates that had been downloaded during installation. At that point I went and shaved, but upon my return the whole desktop was frozen - couldn't even bring up a TTY so I rebooted.

Now when I run apt-get update I'm told to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" which tells me this:

Code:
    dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0009' near line 0:
     newline in field name `openrisc/include/asm/bitops/__ffs.h'
    I've googled a bit but I'm clueless what to do next

Beans

Re: Trusty dpkg error?

Quoth this askubuntu question;
    During the update dpkg stores status of the installation/update [in /var/lib/dpkg/updates]. This is how an incomplete installation process can be detected and decided what are the next packages going to be installed, So that the system can ask to use dpkg-configure -a if anything happens before completing installation or update.

Normally after a successful installation, the directory should be empty.
    Very likely that 0009 file (and perhaps more beside it) is incomplete or corrupt.

I would try to move it out of there and try restarting the update process entirely. Do note that your system is possibly in an invalid state right now (package-wise), so at your own risk.
    Code:
    $ mkdir ~/update-backups
    $ sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0009 ~/update-backups   # repeat for files other than 0009 if needed, or simply * to move them all
    $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans

Re: Trusty dpkg error?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    Quoth this askubuntu question;

Very likely that 0009 file (and perhaps more beside it) is incomplete or corrupt.

I would try to move it out of there and try restarting the update process entirely. Do note that your system is possibly in an invalid state right now (package-wise), so at your own risk.
    Code:
    $ mkdir ~/update-backups
    $ sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0009 ~/update-backups   # repeat for files other than 0009 if needed, or simply * to move them all
    $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    I had to repeat that for "/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0010" but otherwise that got me back on track

Thank you.