Thread: Disable multitouch gestures?

Beans

Disable multitouch gestures?

I keep accidentally triggering 3 and 4 finger gestures. Since I never intentionally use any gestures and accidentally triggering them upsets my workflow, I'd like to disable all multitouch gestures (but keep 2 finger scrolling, if at all possible). How do I do this? I couldn't find anything in the default settings menus or within CCSM, but maybe I just missed it. If it helps, I have an Asus Zenbook with an Elantech touchpad.

Beans

Re: Disable multitouch gestures?

Bump? This is on the stock 14.04 build. I'm not averse to recompiling Unity from source, if that's what it takes, but I don't know what to look for.

Beans

Go into System Settings>Keyboard and Mouse>Touchpad and uncheck multi gesture

Beans

Hey adbiz, thanks for the reply, but I don't seem to have that setting in my mouse/touchpad options. Screenshot of what I see attached.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've wasted way too much time on trying to disable this. If you google "disable ubuntu multi-touch gesture" you can see how many people are struggling with the same problem. There REALLY needs to be an option in 14.10 to disable this.

Beans

See http://askubuntu.com/a/198524/321521

synclient ClickFinger3=2
    synclient TapButton3=2

Beans

Thanks for the reply, abazhgin. I think that took care of some of the irritating 3 finger gestures (window switching in particular). I still get the irritating 4 finger dash open & 4 finger launcher reveal, however.

Beans

Multifinger gestures are disabled in Ubuntu except 2-finger scrolling. You enabled them somehow, probably by adding some startup commands.
    Just remove them.

Beans

Which version, Pilot6? 14.04 had them enabled out of the box. The only startup commands I currently have are the two synclient suggested above by abazhgin.

Beans

I'm encountering this problem too. When I need to click and highlight something (click and drag) on the touchpad, it sets off application switcher as well as the dash on Ubuntu-desktop's unity. I've tried recompiling from source, both from 'apt-get source unity' and from unity's bzr to disable multitouch gestures, but after commenting out some lines in the source as outlined here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/57586.../205045#205045 both produces errors on deb file build.

Current work around: use gnome desktop environment.
    OR use a mouse in Ubuntu's unity.

I was just finding it nice to use unity for some desktops I support, but then this issue cropped up for the touchpad on this laptop, and I'm going back to gnome, at least for this laptop.