Thread: HTML 5 and CSS: multi-language website

Beans

HTML 5 and CSS: multi-language website

Hi,

I would like to create a multi-language website that is able to switch to the right language based on the default language used in the browser that visits the website. I would like to avoid to used PHP and all things that requires server side. I read many possibilities on the web in order to do this but no one uses only HTML 5 and CSS. My first question is: is it possible to do this? If yes can you suggest to me a guide?
    Thank you
    Last edited by erotavlas; May 16th, 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

content negotiation

content negotiation is part of the HTTP specification and supported by Apache2 and nginx. For Apache, you need to enable multiviews for the directories in question. Then AddLanguage for each language.

Code:
    AddLanguage 			en 	.en
    AddLanguage 			fi   	.fi 
    AddLanguage 			sv 	.sv 
    LanguagePriority 		en 	fi 	sv 
    DefaultLanguage 		en 
    DirectoryIndex	index index.html
    The full list of language abbreviations is found in ISO 639. The module negotiation should already be enabled.

Then the hard work comes. You need to make an extra copy of each web page for each additional language. So if you have Finnish, Swedish and English, you would have three index pages:

• index.en.html
    • index.sv.html
    • index.fi.html

Then if the user visits "index.html" the browser will redirect to the correct match or else the default. Your site can use generic links, e.g. "index.html", or else explicit links to a specific language, e.g. "index.sv.html"
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; May 16th, 2014 at 08:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lang pseudo-class

Reading that you want to avoid server-side configuration, you might be able to do it with CSS alone using the lang pseudo-class and hiding / unhiding <div> or <body> elements based on language. However, if it works I feel that would be rather messy in addition to unnecessarily increasing bandwidth. It should be fine for small amounts of text though.

For larger amounts of text, I'd recommend setting the options for mod_negotiation mentioned above. They only need to be set once.
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; May 16th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

Beans

Re: lang pseudo-class

Thank you. So in any case I have a copy of html files for each language. I have not access to server configuration since the host server is not mine. I have access only to the folder of website. Probably the best way is to use old trick of flags one for each language and to share pictures, videos and data among different languages. In this way I can set the English page as default index.html and a flag to index.es.html, index.it.html and so on. Do you agree?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HTML 5 and CSS: multi-language website

Yes, naming the files works to a certain extent even without content negotiation. If you do not have access to the server's configuration and the admins are not helpful you still might be able to make the changes in .htaccess. I haven't tried but that's the situation .htaccess is designed for.

Is the server Apache2 or nginx?

Beans

Re: lang pseudo-class

The server is Apache. What is the difference between .htaccess and httpd.conf ? Can I only modify the first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

.htaccess

Configuration-wise, .htaccess can configure a small subset of options that the main virtual host configuration file can. See what is allowed for the directive AllowOverride.

.htaccess, if allowed by the server, is basically an extension to allow non-administrators some local control over the server configuration for their directories. It's used when you don't have access to the server configuration but you do have write access to the directories and the web server administrator has configured the server to allow use of .htaccess.

It sounds like it may be a match for your situation, but otherwise it is best to keep everything in one place. It also affects performance a little. If you can modify the vhost configuration file, wherever it is, that is better than falling back to .htaccess

Beans

Re: .htaccess

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Configuration-wise, .htaccess can configure a small subset of options that the main virtual host configuration file can. See what is allowed for the directive AllowOverride.

.htaccess, if allowed by the server, is basically an extension to allow non-administrators some local control over the server configuration for their directories. It's used when you don't have access to the server configuration but you do have write access to the directories and the web server administrator has configured the server to allow use of .htaccess.

It sounds like it may be a match for your situation, but otherwise it is best to keep everything in one place. It also affects performance a little. If you can modify the vhost configuration file, wherever it is, that is better than falling back to .htaccess
    Ok thank you.