Thread: Poor Marketing

Beans

Poor Marketing

I just found out that there wasn't enough funds raised to start the Edge project and perhaps a cheaper phone is now a better option? Or others are saying all those who donated will be getting refunds.

I blame this on poor marketing strategies. Donation button should have been all over these forums in a clear easy to find format, not for some moderator to provide a link.

Even this forum here, is hard to find, it sits on a page with 50 other links, why? First time user can easily walk away from being involved, such project should have had its own everything and not on a very busy page with 50 links to sift through. I was really looking forward to this phone and project, I put the blame all on an extremely poor marketing campaign. They could have easily raised the 32M had this been done properly. Please get someone that can properly campaign this and I hope for the sake of the phone and the many folks out there who had high hopes for this phone, that no one is refunded and the project lives on.

Give it its own page for everything in an easy to donate, easy to comment easy to read about the project format.

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone no donate button
    http://www.ubuntu.com/2013/07/edge-founders 16k+ founders but no donate button

Neither links have back links to this forum? And cloud services is your priority? Failure guys! Have you seen wiki when theyre trying to raise money? Donation button is at the top of the page. They raise this in a month easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Poor Marketing

Ubuntu Edge was last year. You are talking about it as though it only just failed to reach funding. All "pledge" links have been long removed by now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And cloud services is your priority?
    It is not my priority! What gave you the idea that cloud services were my priority?

You are posting on a Ubuntu User Forum and a person does not have to even be a Ubuntu user to register. Please do not treat this forum as if it is the complaints department of some commercial enterprise.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@bass740, a few points:

• Although the ubuntuforums are the official forums of the Ubuntu operating system, it is run and maintained by part-time volunteer staff who are nothing to do with Canonical. If you have comments to make about Canonical's marketing practice, you should address them to Canonical. The members of this forum are mostly ordinary users such as yourself.
    • If you have constructive suggestions for features on this forum, then the best place to post them is in Forum Feedback and Help. I emphasise constructive - posts that are ranting in tone are libale to be ignored or even closed.
    • If Canonical approach us (the forum admins) to publicise anything related to Ubuntu, we do our best to oblige, but it would certainly not be appropriate to plaster the forum with donation buttons all over the place.
    • The ubuntuforums are currently the place to get (community volunteer) support for the Ubuntu family of operating systems. At the moment the emphasis is on desktops and servers because that is the reality where Ubuntu is used. When Ubuntu phones and tablets become available we will look into how best to organise the forum in order to reflect the support that will be needed for these. This sub-forum - Mobile Technology Discussions - was set up nearly two years ago to provide a venue for relevant discussion and in anticipation of increasing interest in Ubuntu on mobile platforms. As the chat and support needs of the forum membership changes so we aim to adapt the forum to reflect those changing needs.
    • The forum admins do not administer ubuntu.com. If you have a problem with that site, take it up with the ubuntu.com webmaster here: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/contact-us

I myself will be looking at the Ubuntu Phone when it comes to market later (hopefully) this year. If the price is right and if it supports one of the two carriers whose signal is anywhere near usable where I live, then I may buy one:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...madness-begin/
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Wife cannot live without her cell. I don't own one. She bought me one once, it sat on the desk for 6 months before she gave up. Everybody knows that change is bad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you seen wiki when theyre trying to raise money? Donation button is at the top of the page. They raise this in a month easily.
    You think wiki can raise 32 million dollars in a month?

That was the goal for the edge.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bass740 View Post
    Failure guys!
    For me, these forums offer support to the Ubuntu community. Many of us here don't run Ubuntu as such and may be never will. I've been a happy Kubuntu user for around three years now. I have it installed on three laptops and have little interest in Ubuntu, convergence or the phone. But I'm still proud to be a member of the Ubuntu community.

bass740, your posting history implies that Ubuntu = Ubuntu phone. It does not. I think you need to do a little research into what Ubuntu, and indeed these forums are all about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Being neither employed nor compensated in any manner by Canonical, I am in no rush to perform marketing tasks for them.

But that's just me.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @bass740, a few points:

• Although the ubuntuforums are the official forums of the Ubuntu operating system, it is run and maintained by part-time volunteer staff who are nothing to do with Canonical. If you have comments to make about Canonical's marketing practice, you should address them to Canonical. The members of this forum are mostly ordinary users such as yourself.
    • If you have constructive suggestions for features on this forum, then the best place to post them is in Forum Feedback and Help. I emphasise constructive - posts that are ranting in tone are libale to be ignored or even closed.
    • If Canonical approach us (the forum admins) to publicise anything related to Ubuntu, we do our best to oblige, but it would certainly not be appropriate to plaster the forum with donation buttons all over the place.
    • The ubuntuforums are currently the place to get (community volunteer) support for the Ubuntu family of operating systems. At the moment the emphasis is on desktops and servers because that is the reality where Ubuntu is used. When Ubuntu phones and tablets become available we will look into how best to organise the forum in order to reflect the support that will be needed for these. This sub-forum - Mobile Technology Discussions - was set up nearly two years ago to provide a venue for relevant discussion and in anticipation of increasing interest in Ubuntu on mobile platforms. As the chat and support needs of the forum membership changes so we aim to adapt the forum to reflect those changing needs.
    • The forum admins do not administer ubuntu.com. If you have a problem with that site, take it up with the ubuntu.com webmaster here: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/contact-us

I myself will be looking at the Ubuntu Phone when it comes to market later (hopefully) this year. If the price is right and if it supports one of the two carriers whose signal is anywhere near usable where I live, then I may buy one:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...madness-begin/
    Thank you Cat for a constructive reply. I never meant to suggest that moderators should have been advertising, but feel that a forum such as this, giving 24 hour support for ubuntu for mobile devices, should have somewhat aided to see this project as successful as possible. A small donate button here and on www.ubuntu.com could have went a long way. I myself would have loved to donate and come here often to lurk around for updates, had I seen an easy opportunity to donate, I would have. This forum is a division of www.ubuntu.com and they could have implemented some form of marketing support as these forums catch the most traffic from those who are interested in this project, with great targets for supporters. Ubuntu.com must have had some interest seeing Canonical succeed in their campaign and I feel they should have aided as much as possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If they had wanted us to do so - they would have spoken to us.

If you had looked in more places than the forum you would have seen it. It was all over the 'ubuntusphere'.

You are in the wrong place to talk about ubuntu.com.

Closing this now.