Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop daily software updates?

Beans

How do I stop daily software updates?

I think I've had this problem in every version of Ubuntu I've run (starting 5 years ago with 9.04). I set the Software Updates to "Weekly" or "Every 2 weeks" and it still wants to update every single day.

I inevitably end up turning them off entirely; not an optimal solution.

So, how do I set the updates to be weekly or bi-weekly?

Beans

Re: How do I stop daily software updates?

Maybe security updates? And what's wrong with running daily updates? It is not like in Windows that you have to reboot a hundred times, it is unintrusive and all you need to do is to push a button. Personally I manual update with synaptic everyday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You don't have to accept the update just because you get the notification...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Weird that it is checking daily instead of what you set it to. Maybe going into settings and setting it again would work....but it sounds like you have and it's not working. Am I right?

I have mine set to never check automatically for updates so I cant offer anything else on your issue.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mine is not checked automatickly on notebook. otherwise it's check. if it's not working when you change it to check every two weeks then it must be a bug/error.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ExNASATerry View Post
    I think I've had this problem in every version of Ubuntu I've run (starting 5 years ago with 9.04). I set the Software Updates to "Weekly" or "Every 2 weeks" and it still wants to update every single day.

I inevitably end up turning them off entirely; not an optimal solution.

So, how do I set the updates to be weekly or bi-weekly?
    Hi ExNASATerry, welcome to the forums.

Regarding your question, and please don't take me wrong, but I'm assuming that you did already defined how often you’d like the update manager to check for updates via the drop-down menu in the Updates tab of the Software Sources, right?
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response
    PopularPages - A Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Hi ExNASATerry, welcome to the forums.

Regarding your question, and please don't take me wrong, but I'm assuming that you did already defined how often you’d like the update manager to check for updates via the drop-down menu in the Updates tab of the Software Sources, right?
    Yes, under Software Sources | Updates | "Automatically check for updates" the options are "Daily, Every two days, Weekly, Every two weeks, and Never." I have mine set to Never (which works), because "Weekly" and "Every two weeks" do not. And never have, going back to 9.04, if I remember correctly.

As to "why": it doesn't matter. The options are there; they should work or be removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've got exactly the same problem. Mine's set to 'Never' yet it starts every time I turn my laptop on and I find it infuriating. I prefer to do it manually using apt-get.

Running 12.04.4
    Mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Software Updater can be uninstalled since it's not working right. If I were having problems I'd just remove it. Some dont know it can be uninstalled but it can.

Hope that helps.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The updates are supposed to be checked daily, no matter what option you select, as any important security updates are displayed to the user as soon as possible.

The option sets how often the update manager will display available updates to the user (as long as they are only normal, low-priority updates).

Of course if the Update manager actually pops up every day regardless of what the option is set to, and you don't have any PPA or other third-party repository that might be sending daily security updates, then something is broken. But at least update manager process running daily regardless of the option is working as intended...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast