Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 UEFI boot partition and GRUB reinstall problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 UEFI boot partition and GRUB reinstall problem

Sorry, Luke M is correct. I reversed the /boot and /efi.
    Glad others do check.

If you have the amd64 bit version, then it is the 64 bit version. And will have the capability to boot with UEFI so must have efi files.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

By the way, when you run the ubuntu live CD, the grub-pc package (for BIOS) is installed, not grub-efi-amd64. That's why the grub-install command failed. Try:

sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    By the way, when you run the ubuntu live CD, the grub-pc package (for BIOS) is installed, not grub-efi-amd64. That's why the grub-install command failed. Try:

Thank you Luke M, you have stopped my nightmare The right command it is sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64

Beans

This is my final post with a summary of my problem and the corresponding solution in order to avoid to waste your time on resolving it.

The first thing to do is to check if you boot your live Ubuntu system in UEFI mode
    Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"
    If the answer is "EFI boot on HDD" then you can proceed otherwise you have to modify your boot setting into the BIOS https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Then you have to: 1) restore your efi partition and 2) reinstall the GRUB
    1) To restore your efi partition
    First install efi boot manager
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
    check that your partition is GPT and that you have an efi partition as first partition of your drive https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Code:
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    Then you have to mount your Ubuntu system partition and efi partition. In my case the Ubuntu is located in /dev/sda2
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /mnt/system
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/system
    while the efi partition is located in /dev/sda1
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/system/boot/efi
    Finally you have to install one entry into the UEFI BIOS boot list with the following command
    Code:
    efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -w -L ubuntu
    Now you have installed the efi entry for the Ubuntu system.

2) To install the GRUB you have two possibilities. First, for both you have to install this
    Code:
    and now your live Ubuntu is able to install UEFI GRUB.

The first possibility is to manually install the GRUB with these following commands
    Code:
    sudo  grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/system/boot --bootloader-id=ubuntu  --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/system/boot/efi --recheck  --debug /dev/sda
    and
    Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/system/boot/efi/EFI/GRUB/grub.cfg
    while the second possibility is a guided procedure using Boot-repair https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo sh -c "sed -i 's/trusty/saucy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-boot-repair-trusty.list"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)
    Now you can launch Boot-Repair and follow the instructions at video. At certain point the Boot-Repair ask to you to launch these commands from terminal
    Code:
    sudo chroot "/mnt/system" dpkg --configure -a
    sudo chroot "/mnt/system" apt-get install -fy
    sudo chroot "/mnt/system" apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-efi-amd64-signed shim-signed linux-signed-generic
    At the end you can boot again your Ubuntu system

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123