Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Link a domain name to server

Beans

Re: Link a domain name to server

Error: I could not see your service on 60.240.253.76 on port (80)
    Reason: Connection timed out
    Your IP:
    Port to Check:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In #54 the screen shot shows LAN ip number is 192.168.0.200 and you can still access the web site from another machine on the same LAN using the internal (LAN) ip number. So that part should be good.

DNS works, in regards to looking up the domain name and resolving it to the external ip number, 60.240.253.76. So that part is good.

Your screen shot in #56 shows NAT enabled and that the external ip is 60.240.253.76. Can you access the web site from another machine on the same LAN using the external ip number?

Beans

When I use 192.168.0.200 or 60.240.253.76 qldscuba.com from my laptop on the same lAN I can see the qldscuba home page.
    I am going to change to an older router that used to work for Ubuntu and see if the issue is my new router.
    Will let you know how I go.

Beans

Changed the router to no avail. Then decided to call my ISP to see if everything was OK at their end. I was put on hold for five mins and so after for mins I checked the site and all was working fine. The tech came back on and said it was all fine. Asked what he did and he said nothing at all. Strange that hey. lol Now for putting up the correcy website as the one there now is one I built for a friend a couple of weeks back.
    Let me know if its working from your end please guys?

Beans

Will start a new post with my next question soon. Hope you guys dont get P--sed of with me as I have a few to ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yep. Now that the middle is also connected, the site comes up fine with the site for "Abyss Commercial Diving" Very cool.

Beans

Yep, all good now.

Glad you got there in the end! And at least it's fun learning, right?
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

Thanks to you guys its all good now

The next thing I want to look at is Virtualmin
    Have a number of domain names to work with so want to set it up as a virtual server to host a few sites.
    Any ideas what I need to do?
    Last edited by Iowan; May 16th, 2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Merged

Beans

Never used Virtualmin, but have a look for namebased virtualhosts in the wiki. That's the default way of doing it AFAIK.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Namebased virtual hosts

Apache2 can handle multiple virtual hosts. You'll need to set up separate directories for each new site's DocumentRoot and then make a configuration file for that virtual host (aka vhost). Then find a guide for namebased virtual hosts as spynappels points out.

One thing with 2.2, which is what you have I think, is that on Ubuntu the default DocumentRoot for the default virtual host is /var/www. If you are going to host several sites on that machine, it might be good to move that. For example you could have

/var/www/qldscuba.com/
    /var/www/tasscuba.com/
    /var/www/nswscuba.com/

and so on.

The only thing that matters is that the directory name on the server matches what is in the vhost's DocumentRoot.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast