Hi guys this is kind of maybe a slight how too or a guide as i had one of the wort experiences over the last few days.
Anyways if this comes in hand for anyone or perhaps any idea for troubleshooting/whatever good luck.

When i first started, i was trying out mint and actualy i liked it a bit but oh well here i am now on ubuntu gnome 14 04
The dongle simply refused to work after following several guides, simptoms : very slow, bitspikes , d/c

After much trial and error,

1st thing to try with the wireless usb dongle netgear wg111v2
is to install some firmware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...e/NetgearWG111

Although this simply didnt solve my issues as i had hoped
and ofcorse it took forever to get anything done

2nd thing was to disable ipv6 network > settings > ipv6 > ignore
didnt realy help at the moment but should help later anyway,

3rd was to excersize patience and install synaptic and all the dependencies
either with this slow or by this link on another machine
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/synaptic

4th using synaptic i marked the following packages for installation;

network-manager (reinstall)
ndiswrapper (all)
wicd (all)

at this stage there should be a few dependecies marked etc, to include these is a must .

In synaptic go to file > Generate package download script
and point it to your home folder and lable it something simple.

Get this list onto a computer that has the net i.e. copy paste to a windows or whatever.

5th on windows i ended up downloading something like 37 files, this was realy painfull
and if anyone has a quicker way of doing this plz share. opening the script is easy with notepad or gedit.
but yea painfull, had to remove -c and wget from each item whatever that is?

Put them all in the same folder

6th
back to ubuntu and install pkg 1 by 1 to make sure, i diddnt reinstall anything apart from network-manager.

Reboot

i had not touched wicd, or ndiswrapper but perhaps it was just reinstalling netowork-manager ? or it wanted a dependency maybe?
Finaly i got a stable working connection, so
i did my 1st trial with

sudo apt-get install linux-headers

i seen all was well and so i thought i better share with others as this dongle is an out right neausence!
and if i forget i consider it to be like a memo for later.