Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I permanently allow 2 LAN computers access each other via both firewalls?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Should I permanently allow 2 LAN computers access each other via both firewalls?

Hi.

I sync my main PC to my secondary PC often. I temporarily disable firewalls on both computers and re-enable UFW when I'm finished. I sync via an Ethernet cable and am not on the Internet when syncing.

Instead of disabling the 2 PC firewalls all the time. Would it be best in permanently allowing both private IP address or permanently allow ssh? Would this be a security risk when I go online? I also have a firewall on my router.

PC #1 = 192.168.1.5
    PC #2 = 192.168.1.6

I sync all data to PC#2 using Grsync and any files not on PC#1 are deleted on PC#2.

Thanks.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should I permanently allow 2 LAN computers access each other via both firewalls?

Hi

You could set a static IP address on each computer and punch a hole in both firewalls for the IP address/MAC address/port combination for each computer.

Allow incoming new,established and outgoing established connections only from these IP/MAC/port combinations.

As you have a firewall on your router, i think this would help mitigate any security risks it would entail.

I'd be interested in the opinion of others.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 10th, 2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Must be going blind
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should I permanently allow 2 LAN computers access each other via both firewalls?

If the ip addresses are permanent, you could allow only incoming from the other machine:

Code:
    sudo ufw allow proto tcp from 192.168.1.5 to any port ssh
    I think that might be near or at the limit of UFW. If you want to do rate limiting plus restricting to a specific IP you might need to work with iptables directly.

Can grsync use SSH keys like rsync can?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I've got static addresses that I connect to. When I'm on the Internet, I'm only on the Wi-Fi connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is your LAN on eth0 and your Wi-Fi on eth1? If the LAN connection is on a different interface than your Wi-fi then you can write the iptables rules to allow just SSH, just from the fixed IP address, and just on that one interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

My NM Static connection is eth0 and Wi-Fi connection is wlan0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ufw

Then your UFW modification could be done something like this:

Code:
    sudo ufw allow in on eth0 proto tcp from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.6 port ssh
    That would be done on .6 and the opposite would be done on .5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: ufw

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow in on eth0 proto tcp from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.6 port ssh
    Thank you Lars.

Your solution works perfectly.

That would be no security problem when I'm online? I don't use the LAN cable when I'm using WiFi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It should be no problem because the rules for eth0 apply only to that interface and the wifi uses only wlan0. You can list the rules you have with iptables-save or ufw and go through them to be sure.

Code:
    sudo ufw status verbose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

It should be no problem because the rules for eth0 apply only to that interface and the wifi uses only wlan0. You can list the rules you have with iptables-save or ufw and go through them to be sure.

Code:
    sudo ufw status verbose
    Cheers Lars.

Is your LAN on eth0 and your Wi-Fi on eth1? If the LAN connection is on a different interface than your Wi-fi then you can write the iptables rules to allow just SSH, just from the fixed IP address, and just on that one interface.
    Was that a typo about "Wi-Fi on eth1"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast