Thread: runlevel files

Beans

runlevel files

Hello beautiful mind, I would like to find a good answer to this silly question.
    I'm using 3 different distros to study for my LPCI-1 certificate and RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian have 3 different files to store the default runlevel.
    Why a linux technician should be struggle every time he needs to work on different distro?????????
    Is maybe the time to create a solid rule to make it clear at least the most important config file must be the same?????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: runlevel files

I believe the LPCI-1 uses the 2.6 kernel, Ubuntu 14.04 is on 3.13 and the other distro's are probably on the equivalent. So I don't know when they stopped supporting runlevels but that is a thing of the past. I know Fedora 13 supports it as that is the distro we used in my System Administrating class which was geared at the LPIC tests. So that distro would be a good one to use and learn for the test. I believe the runlevel in Fedora 13 was /etc/inittab file.

Good luck on the test!

Chris
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Different versions of Linux use different init systems. Such is life. If everything was dead easy, we wouldn't need to pay professional Linux techs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also Ubuntu, like many other distros, is heading away from runlevel-based init system and instead uses event-based Upstart (so pretty much all runlevel stuff is only for backwards compatibility reasons).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by marbew View Post
    Hello beautiful mind, I would like to find a good answer to this silly question.
    I'm using 3 different distros to study for my LPCI-1 certificate and RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian have 3 different files to store the default runlevel.
    Why a linux technician should be struggle every time he needs to work on different distro?????????
    Is maybe the time to create a solid rule to make it clear at least the most important config file must be the same?????
    We just have to figure out which config file is the most important .exrc or .emacs.

Linux and Linux distributions are in constant development. As a Linux technician you will also have to "struggle" with every new release of the same distro (But the struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart).

RHEL 6 and Ubuntu since 6.10 uses Upstart, but RHEL 7 ships with systemd and Debian "jessie" will also use systemd as the default system management daemon for Linux and Ubuntu will follow (See: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316). It seams that,for now, systemd is the new sysvinit. Who knows for how long?

Keep up the learning and good luck on your exam.
    Last edited by sisco311; May 11th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.