Thread: Dungeon Seige 2 Resolution Problems - 14.04 LTS - Does not play nicely in 32 bit Res

Beans

Question Dungeon Seige 2 Resolution Problems - 14.04 LTS - Does not play nicely in 32 bit Res

With only a minor bit of head bashing on the edge of my desk, I was able to get Dungeon Seige 2 to a mostly functional state in WINE. It launches, and it is sort of playable, only "sort of" because of the low-res 16 bit graphics. If I set the resolution to 32 bit, the game starts slightly off center screen and has no mouse.

This is obviously not an important issue for me, you or anyone. DS2 was, if I remember correctly, not a particularly spectacular game. It is just that my kids have developed an interest in retro-hack&slash/sword&sorcery RPGs - blame Game of Thrones, probably - and I have the DS2 disks.

I have DS1 and DSLOA running quite nicely with no apparent issues so far. DS1 is still surprisingly fun in a nostalgic way.

If anyone has any suggestions to try for improving DS2, it would be much appreciated. Thx

Beans

Re: Dungeon Seige 2 Resolution Problems - 14.04 LTS - Does not play nicely in 32 bit

Hi,

I can get DS2 running in 800x600 32 bit, but the display resolution is still very poor. 1024x768 32 bit is still problematic.

Beans

Re: Dungeon Seige 2 Resolution Problems - 14.04 LTS - Does not play nicely in 32 bit

I upgraded the GPU from a GF 7900 GS (256 Mb), which should be more than adequate for any of the Dungeon Siege games, to a GF GTX 470 (1280 Mb), which broke Wine (now fixed) and Dungeon Siege 2 is a little more acceptable at 800 x 600 32 Bit. 1024 x 768 still does not work.

Beans

I switched to an older and better quality monitor (more $$$$$ when new, anyway), same panel size but lower resolution and better colour rendering -- 1366 x 769 native.

There are two benefits here: 1. Although there is less screen realestate (mildly negative), things are generally easier on my tired old eyes (entirely positive). 2. DS2 is much more acceptable at 800 x 600 in 32 bit - the resolution is entirely playable even if the game itself may not natively be so ... .... yawnish....