Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

Wikipedia says 13.10 is supported until June, other sources say until July. Anybody know the exact date? It will probably take some time for me to upgrade, so I am putting it off.

I assume it is best to do a "clean upgrade," i.e., download and burn a CD or DVD, save files, install 14.04, install needed apps, etc. Any comments on this?

Can 14.04 LTS be put on a CD? Or is it too large?

Thanks,

R.

Beans

Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

13.10 is supported til late July. Clean install all the way. "upgrade" is unreliable and takes hours to finish, a fresh install of 14.04 takes about 15 minutes.

14.04 is ok but there are glitches at this point. If 13.10 is working why trade it off for something barely out of beta? (not having many updates since released, many updates are now sitting in "proposed"), 14.04.1 will come out around the same time 13.10 reaches end of life, I will wait til then.

P.S. No it can't be put in a CD, best way is to use a live usb, forget about DVD and burning, it is 2014.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    13.10 is supported til late July. Clean install all the way. "upgrade" is unreliable and takes hours to finish, a fresh install of 14.04 takes about 15 minutes.

14.04 is ok but there are glitches at this point. If 13.10 is working why trade it off for something barely out of beta? (not having many updates since released, many updates are now sitting in "proposed"), 14.04.1 will come out around the same time 13.10 reaches end of life, I will wait til then.

P.S. No it can't be put in a CD, best way is to use a live usb, forget about DVD and burning, it is 2014.
    Other than PowerPC the Lubuntu images are still CD size

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...14.04/release/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks Monkeybrain and Kansas Noob,

I wonder if 14.04.1 will fit on a CD? My machine is old, I can't burn a DVD or boot from a USB port.

Thanks,
    R.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No 14.04.1 wil not fit on CD Need to be Dvd.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redalien0304 View Post
    No 14.04.1 wil not fit on CD Need to be Dvd.
    How do you know that?

Lubuntu strives very hard to not break 700MB.

Regardless the original 14.04 images will be archived so they could still be used, then there would just be a lot of updates to apply after installing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Clean install all the way. "upgrade" is unreliable and takes hours to finish, a fresh install of 14.04 takes about 15 minutes.
    I think that's misleading. The upgrade path is tested and supported.
    I find upgrading to be more convenient, very reliable, and faster than a fresh install.
    I've been installing, upgrading, and customizing on various machines since 2006. The one serious upgrade problem I experienced was patched and fixed within a couple days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    I think that's misleading. The upgrade path is tested and supported.
    I find upgrading to be more convenient, very reliable, and faster than a fresh install.
    I've been installing, upgrading, and customizing on various machines since 2006. The one serious upgrade problem I experienced was patched and fixed within a couple days.
    Upgrade takes a few hours, how is it going to be faster than a fresh install? You need to spend more time to configure your system before upgrade to a pristine state for it to be successful (removing proprietary drivers ppa etc) I find it misleading to present it to users as if they just press a button and everything is ok only to leave them with a broken/messed up system.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 9th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

The standard desktop install iso for Lubuntu and Ubuntu are close to 700mb and I could not burn it to a CD. If you have no dvd player, like I don't, you will need to install the alternative iso, which, at 620mb, does fit onto a CD, and works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Then you are doing something wrong. Lubuntu (both standard and alternate) fits to a CD, X/Ubuntu don't.

Regardless of size, installing from USB is a safer way provided the computer supports it.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast