Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Realplayer files

Beans

Help with Realplayer files

I have recently started using Ubuntu 12.04 lts. I switched from windows xp.

Before switching, I was ripping a lot of my CDs onto a hard drive using Realplayer. I was using the realplayer lossless instead of mp3.

Now that I am using Ubuntu, I am unable to play those files. MP3 files will open automatically with rhythmbox, but the real files will not open. They have a file name that ends with .ra

I have tried opening them with Rhythmbox, VLC, K3b, and SMPlayer, but they will not open

I have tried searching online to find out how to download a version of realplayer for ubuntu, or helix player, if that will work, but I am still unsure how to go about doing so. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Jonathan

Beans

Re: Help with Realplayer files

I don't know of any way, helix seems to be unmaintained for a very long time (last version 2008 or something like that), you can try but doubt that it will install. Who still use realplayer anyway? maybe you have to rerip your cd's in flac.

Edited: that is the problem of keeping your data in proprietary format. Now you can still play them in Windows but what if realplayer goes out of business? ra is not that popular even on Windows, I try to find a sample (download or stream) on the web and all the links are either dead or have been converted to flash or whatever.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 8th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.

Beans

I don't think helix supports RealAudio lossless format (ralf). Even the w32codecs package didn't have it, from what I can tell.

Options:
    1) Rerip to FLAC
    2) Boot to WinXP and convert the files to wav (or flac if possible).
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi
    If those mysterious ra files are ralf then FFmpeg should be able to convert them to flac or whatever.
    @Xubuntu:~$ ffmpeg -decoders | grep "ralf"
    ffmpeg version 2.2.git-eeb4835 Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
    built on May 7 2014 16:47:43 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libshine --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree
    libavutil 52. 81.100 / 52. 81.100
    libavcodec 55. 60.103 / 55. 60.103
    libavformat 55. 37.102 / 55. 37.102
    libavdevice 55. 13.101 / 55. 13.101
    libavfilter 4. 5.100 / 4. 5.100
    libswscale 2. 6.100 / 2. 6.100
    libswresample 0. 18.100 / 0. 18.100
    libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
    A....D ralf RealAudio Lossless

Beans

Good call, ron. I should have looked there first (I run Debian with ffmpeg).

Beans

Thanks for your help guys. I would like to try ffmpeg, but still can't figure that out. I went to the site and opened and saved some file from there and it did nothing as far as I could tell. Not sure how to run it. I don't know what I'm doing, I guess, as I have always been a windows user.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan37 View Post
    Thanks for your help guys. I would like to try ffmpeg, but still can't figure that out. I went to the site and opened and saved some file from there and it did nothing as far as I could tell. Not sure how to run it. I don't know what I'm doing, I guess, as I have always been a windows user.
    I can't find a source .ra as a test. But, assuming ron998 is correct, this should work.

Open a terminal. (This is the quick way.)

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
    sudo apt-get install audacity

Audacity is a waveform audio recorder that can use ffmpeg to transcode between formats.
    Launch Audacity.

File > Open > /path/to/file/foo-bar.ra

File > Export > <select destination folder> <select desired file type from the drop down in the bottom right> > Save.

Lather, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

This, going one file at a time, can be really time consuming.

If you still have your source Albums, I find that RipperX has been very helpful in getting me to my desired file format, and in looking up CDDB information. (Artist, Album Title, Track Numbers, Track Titles).

Depending on the amount of files you have, it could be quicker to just re-rip.

As an alternative to using terminal, you should be able to open the Ubuntu Software Centre and select to install audacity.
    The ffmpeg library should be a dependency and be auto-installed.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans

If ffmpeg works and you don't want the terminal you can try winff. It is a gui for ffmpeg and is in the repo.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 15th, 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Beans

@Adam_GUI:
    - Debian/Ubuntu switched from ffmpeg to the very similar libav, so you can't just 'apt-get install ffmpeg'.
    - Audacity doesn't have ffmpeg/libav support because it is very far behind on supporting new versions. You have to jump through some hoops to get it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2219907
    - At any rate, Audacity is probably not the way to go here (small script or winff would be much faster).

Fortunately, libav also lists support for ralf. Try this (make sure libav-tools package is installed first):
    Code:
    avconv -i filename.ra filename.flac
    If it works to satisfaction, then you can try converting all of them with winff or a script.
    Last edited by Temüjin; May 15th, 2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: fix link copy/paste

Beans

OP has a whole bunch of CDs ripped to real player format, so if ffmpeg or avconv works better do it in batch as I am sure it would be painful to do the songs one by one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast