Thread: Wondering if there is a way to Gut the operating system out of an Ipod 160 gig

Beans

Wondering if there is a way to Gut the operating system out of an Ipod 160 gig

Hi there,
    I have an old ipod 160 gig which I believe has a bad hard drive I am wondering if there is anything I can do to reprogram it work with Clementine or something?

Basically is there anything cool that I could do with it? Or is it pretty much useless now?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wondering if there is a way to Gut the operating system out of an Ipod 160 gig

You can open it up and put in a CF card. You could replace the hard drive, but they are kind of expensive. You can load Rockbox and make it a decent player with lots of plugins. Search the web for ideas. You can sell it for parts. If the screen is good and the clickwheel works, then someone will want the pieces.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: Wondering if there is a way to Gut the operating system out of an Ipod 160 gig

Do you have more info on this? Seems like it'd make a handy portable media host/server.

Beans

emCORE works on the Classic. I only used it to install RockBox, but it's a Linux install, so I'm sure you could do more with it with some tinkering