Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Google Chrome?

Beans

No Google Chrome?

I'm pretty sold on Xubuntu, but it has a problem I've noticed in other flavors and generations of Ubuntu: it snubs Google-Chrome. I'd prefer to have Googe Chrome (stable) as my default browser. Why, oh why, does Xubuntu refuse to so designate the program? Is this a Canonical-Google pissing contest? I really don't care for Firefox, and Midori is just a bit too bland. Would I have better luck with Opera? How about the generic Chromium? And what's the difference, anyway?

Of course I'm whining. That's why I'm starting this thread in the Absolute Beginners Section. The whole conflict between *buntu, google, flash, netflix, etcetera, is getting a bit tiresome.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm asking if this discussion/explanation exists already. I can do the research, if it isn't. My first program was in FORTRAN, in 1964.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: No Google Chrome?

Why don't you just install it. I've been using Xubuntu, along with Chrome on it, for a long time and never used Firefox.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response
    PopularPages - A Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What are you talking about?
    1. There are no conflicts between the designated parties.
    2. You are free to install and use Google Chrome in Ubuntu.
    3. Do correct me, but the OP doesn't make any sense at all.

Beans

Just Google Chrome for Linux and install it. You want a .deb file. Does Xbuntu have the Chromium browser in its repository?
    Very similar, or used to be. I tried it and Chrome didn't like them so don't use them. Firefox 29 looks similar to chrome now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    What are you talking about?
    1. There are no conflicts between the designated parties.
    2. You are free to install and use Google Chrome in Ubuntu.
    3. Do correct me, but the OP doesn't make any sense at all.
    I won't correct you. I do agree with you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by caver12 View Post
    Just Google Chrome for Linux and install it. You want a .deb file. Does Xbuntu have the Chromium browser in its repository?
    Very similar, or used to be. I tried it and Chrome didn't like them so don't use them. Firefox 29 looks similar to chrome now.
    Of cause Chromium is in the repositories - all Ubuntu derivatives use the same ones.

Beans

It's installed, as a direct download .deb from Google, and works fine (the flash problem is separate). I just want the OS to recognize that I want the program to be the default browser (as in Preferred Application).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by berninghausen View Post
    It's installed, as a direct download .deb from Google, and works fine (the flash problem is separate). I just want the OS to recognize that I want the program to be the default browser (as in Preferred Application).
    If you feel so strongly about it, my advise to you would be to help create the Xubuntu Roadmap, especially in the Brainstorming phase. Join and contribute to one or more of the many different teams of Xubuntu.

Here's how you can contribute:
    1. Join the Xubuntu-devel mailing list
    2. Join the #xubuntu-devel channel on Freenode and participate in discussions
    3. Attend the Xubuntu community meetings

And since this is not a support thread, I'm moving it to the Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat sub-forum.

Beans

Please address the inability of Xubuntu to allow designation of Google-Chrome (stable) as the default browser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by berninghausen View Post
    Please address the inability of Xubuntu to allow designation of Google-Chrome (stable) as the default browser.
    If you've got an issue setting it as the default browser in YOUR install then that is a support issue, perhaps start a thread without all the drama and finger pointing and actually ask a support question at the outset not after people have responded to what this thread appears to be about - that is Xubuntu not using Google Chrome by default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast