Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lockout: Double Fail Passwd Reset on 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Lockout: Double Fail Passwd Reset on 14.04

Lockout: Double Fail Passwd Reset

Prefatory to my double passwd reset fail on 14.04:
    a. OS: clean install 10.04 LTS, < upgrade to 12.04 < upgrade to 14.04 LTS, all 32 bit.
    b. Immediate event prior to password/login fail: Utilizing a tutorial from ubuntuhandbook.org, from CLI, I used gedit to edit grub to select my preference for text-only boot (I like to watch the O.K.'s rather than have this information hidden by Plymouth).

Although this grub edit and succeeding text-only boot was successful, my login failed and I could not initiate GUI. I forgot my login so I retrieved it via
    Code:
     ls /home/
    However, as I said, my "correct" login failed. Then my password also failed.

I used the standard method for password reset:
    Code:
     sudo mount -rw -o remount /
    And:
    Code:
     passwd lucas
    This offered me a new UNIX password and the change was accepted. However, my password/login combination failed again.

I also re-edited grub to replace text-boot with GUI Plymouth. This was successful but didn't change my password/login status.

I then googled an ubuntu forums solution for a "drastic" method: Create an empty or null password. Here, from CLI, I brought up nano and found a line beginning with my user name. From this line I deleted everything except numbers and colons, saved, exited, rebooted. Password/login fail again.

What I can and cannot do: I can access my root prompt via recovery mode. I can enter GUI Guest session. I have internet access. I cannot enter my personal account. I have spent 20+ hours configuring. I do not want to re-install.
    Solutions? Please specify discrete procedures. Although I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake, and Ubuntu is now my primary system, actually my only OS, I am still a beginner trying to "take it to the next level." Yesterday was the first time I used a text editor and this was by virtue of copy/paste and not personal knowledge.

Thank you! Thank you!
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

mini-itx; jetway mb; i3 Haswell @ 3.8 GHz; 16 GB Mushkin SODIMM; Samsung 850 Evo mSATA 500 GB ssd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lockout: Double Fail Passwd Reset on 14.04

Can you make a new user ?
    From recovery mode, you can proceed as described here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ad...o#Command-line
    Now you'll have to add this user to the standard groups, here are mine :
    Code:
    groups
    bapoumba adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo dip video plugdev fuse lpadmin sambashare
    Can you log in ?

I suppose the procedure you are describing to reset the user password is the one from here : http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Now could you please describe this "drastic method" you used and may be give the link you used ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your mount command was wrong.

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    so you were still in read-only mode.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

How did you know that your password was not accepted? Did it tell you "Incorrect password" or did the login bounce, that you were returned to the login screen at once? That would indicate that the session crashed as soon as it is started. It is unlikely that modifying some config files with gedit+root privileges would alter your password.

Check the ownership of the files in your home directory (/home/yourusername). If any files are owned by root, change ownership back to yourself. The most likely suspect is .Xauthority, a hidden file. From the recovery console you can check with
    Code:
    ls -al /home/yourusername/.Xauthority
    and you can recover with
    Code:
    chown -R yourusername:yourusername /home/yourusername
    However, I think that your drastic method may have done more damage. You used nano to open a file and delete some things from the line with your user name. Which file did you open? /etc/passwd? /etc/shadow? There may still be a backup of the old versions of those files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've used the method suggested by bapoumba when I FUBARed a user account. Create a new user and copy any important data files using a live install. I guess that's one risk to encrypting a home folder, I don't know what would be involved in recovering files stored there if that user's password were messed up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

(1001)
    Hello bapoumba,

Thanks for your many suggestions. I have tried all and I am still caught in log-in bounce return to log-in loop. Recovery mode output affirms password change but to no avail.

Per your suggestions:

1. You asked if I could make a new user. Although my inputs were accepted, the result failed. Output: [code] Adding user 'lucas1' . . . THEN Adding new group 'lucas1' (1001) . . . THEN groupadd: cannot lock /etc/group: try again later THEN adduser: '/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 1001 lucas1' returned error code 10. Exiting.

2. Confirmed. The "psyocats" method is the "standard" method I used for passwd reset. Again, the password reset successfully but it does not function.

3. Link for "drastic" method:

[URL="http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password"] Scroll down to the bottom of this page. The location I editd with nano was /etc/shadow

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

mini-itx; jetway mb; i3 Haswell @ 3.8 GHz; 16 GB Mushkin SODIMM; Samsung 850 Evo mSATA 500 GB ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello deadflowr,

Yes, you are corrrect, I made an error for mount as rw.
    I applied your correction, my password change was made successfully. Unfortunately, my "new" password is not accepted and I a stuck in a log-in loop.

Thank you for your help.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello impavidus,

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I have applied all but unfortunately I am still stuck in a log-in loop with my "new" password not being accepted.

To wit:

1. You asked how I knew that my password was not accepted. Per above, in recovery mode my UNIX password was changed successfully there according to that output. But it failed because the log-in bounced and returned to log-in.

2. I checked file ownership accordingly
    Code:
     ls -al /home/lucas/ .Xauthority
    I wish I could give you the output but in my GUI guest session, where I am now, I do not have root in terminal and in recovery mode I have root but no GUI tools.

However, from memory, my input was accepted. In that list I found a line with my user name and .Xauthority at the end of it. Doesn't the dot mean root?
    I failed to write down the status of ownership at the beginning of the line.

With chown, I thought I'd be removing the . from Xauthority. So then I did this:
    Code:
     chown -R lucas:lucas /home/lucas
    ----
    I noticed that my user line still showed .Xauthority so this confused me. I thought that dot would have been removed.

But I did write down my present ownership. It is: -rw----

Please clarify above. And, again, "no go" on log-in

3. In the "drastic" method I used nano to edit /etc/shadow Here is the link for this method--scroll down to the bottom: [URL="http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password[/URL]
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi fellow kurt,

My Home Folder was not encrypted. So were you successful?
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The dot in Xauthority, or any file for that matter, means it's hidden, not root owned.

It's been a long time since I've had a login loop so I'm not sure, but perhaps try moving the file
    Code:
    mv .Xauthority .Xauthority.bak
    I can't remember if it regenerates a new one or not, but if it does it should fix the login.
    If it doesn't, no harm just reverse the command and start over.
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 6th, 2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typos galore
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast