Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I change mouse cursors on Ubuntu 14.04?

renato3 is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

How do I change mouse cursors on Ubuntu 14.04?

I downloaded Comix Cursors, extracted it to ~/.icons, installed Unity Tweak Tool, opened "Cursor" tab, selected Comixcursors-slim-black but nothing happens. Whatever cursor I select in this tab won't change anything. Here is a screnshoot:

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. Can someone help me, please?

Beans

Re: How do I change mouse cursors on Ubuntu 14.04?

I'm having the same problem. Is this feature working on Unity? Is there a manual text-mode way of doing this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Where did you download from?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    Where did you download from?
    I downloaded it from here:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...?content=32627

It's the most downloaded cursor theme on the site and there is no complain. I've already used it in other distros (it's my all time favorite cursor theme) and never had I a problem. Also, all other cursor themes, even the default installed ones, are not working. I select them and they simply won't change. I guess it's an Unity issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am not sure what your problem is. The only recommendation I have is to use Synaptic package manager to do the install. The Comixcursers are in the ppa.
    You may be right about it being a Unity issue. I tried changing mine and got mixed results, sometimes the the DMZ-black shows up as opposed to the DMZ-white.
    Not sure what the issue is..
    Last edited by gifford; May 8th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    I am not sure what your problem is. The only recommendation I have is to use Synaptic package manager to do the install. The Comixcursers are in the ppa.
    You may be right about it being a Unity issue. I tried changing mine and got mixed results, sometimes the the DMZ-black shows up as opposed to the DMZ-white.
    Not sure what the issue is..
    Yeah, me too. I installed Comix Cursors from repositories and now I've gotten mixed cursor themes, it's totally bugged... what is going on??
    Last edited by Iowan; May 16th, 2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: snipped CoC violation

Beans
    Hidden!

When changing a mouse cursor theme as well as using a tweak tool you need to install the theme to alternatives and select in alternatives.
    You may want to uninstall the comix cursors you installed from the ubuntu repos.

To install to alternatives the downloaded theme needs to have a cursor.theme file and in many themes you need to create this file.

eg from your link I downloaded ComixCursors-Opaque-0.8.2.tar.bz2 and extracted the archive to my desktop.
    I want to install ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange but it doesn't have a cursor.theme file.
    I need to create by opening gedit and pasting in the following.....
    Code:
    [Icon Theme]
    Inherits=ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange
    Use your theme's name which will be the same as the folder name.
    Save as cursor.theme to your themes folder.
    070.jpg

Now you need to move your theme to /usr/share/icons
    Open another instance of nautilus as root
    Code:
    gksu nautilus /usr/share/icons
    and copy or move your cursor theme folder to /usr/share/icons

You need to add your theme to and select with alternatives.
    Normally here I would use galternatives (GUI for alternatives) but doesn't seem to work in 14.04 so need to use terminal.

Open a terminal and enter (use the same terminal for all commands as the first command is a variable and will be lost once terminal is closed)
    Code:
    CURSOR=<NAME OF THEME>
    eg in this example I would use
    Code:
    CURSOR=ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange
    Then copy and paste and run the following commands one at a time.
    The second gsettings command does the same as using a tweak tool to change cursor so no need to use a tweak tool as well.
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme x-cursor-theme /usr/share/icons/$CURSOR/cursor.theme 20

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme "$CURSOR" && sudo update-alternatives --set x-cursor-theme /usr/share/icons/$CURSOR/cursor.theme
    You need to logout to complete the change.

PS lol @ the original poster now banned and his beans are burnt.
    Last edited by grumblebum2; May 9th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Beans

This isn't working no matter what. Whatever theme I select, I get a mixed theme from the one I selected and Dmz-white.
    Last edited by Iowan; May 16th, 2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: snipped

Beans
    Hidden!

Check your theme has a cursor.theme file and is installed to /usr/share/icons. Is your theme listed?
    Code:
    find /usr/share/icons -name "cursor.theme" | cut -f 5 -d '/' | sort

Check what theme is set in dconf.
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme

Check your cursor theme is installed to and selected in alternatives...
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
    eg mine...
    Code:
    glen@Trusty:~$ find /usr/share/icons -name "cursor.theme" | cut -f 5 -d '/' | sort
    Adwaita
    ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange
    ComixCursors-Slim-Black
    ComixCursors-Slim-Orange
    DMZ-Black
    DMZ-Black-Medium
    DMZ-White
    DMZ-White-Large
    DMZ-White-Medium
    RezoBlack
    RingOrange
    XenonBlue

glen@Trusty:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme
    'ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange'

glen@Trusty:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
    [sudo] password for glen: 
    There are 6 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                                           Priority   Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
      0            /usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange/cursor.theme   20        auto mode
    * 1            /usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Opaque-Slim-Orange/cursor.theme   20        manual mode
      2            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black-Medium/cursor.theme                  20        manual mode
      3            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme                         20        manual mode
      4            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme                         20        manual mode
      5            /usr/share/icons/RezoBlack/cursor.theme                         20        manual mode
      6            /usr/share/icons/XenonBlue/cursor.theme                         20        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
    Last edited by grumblebum2; May 16th, 2014 at 03:22 AM.

Beans

There are only 2 cursor themes listed, but I installed a lot of themes from the repositories. Could you help, me??

Code:
    find /usr/share/icons -name "cursor.theme" | cut -f 5 -d '/' | sort
    DMZ-Black
    DMZ-White
    Code:
    $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme
    'DMZ-White'
    Code:
    $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
    There are 12 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                     Priority   Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    * 0            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   100       auto mode
      1            /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme               30        manual mode
      2            /etc/X11/cursors/handhelds.theme          20        manual mode
      3            /etc/X11/cursors/moblin.theme             50        manual mode
      4            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-black.theme          40        manual mode
      5            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-blue.theme           40        manual mode
      6            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-white.theme          50        manual mode
      7            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-yellow.theme         40        manual mode
      8            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-zion.theme           40        manual mode
      9            /etc/X11/cursors/redglass.theme           20        manual mode
      10           /etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme         20        manual mode
      11           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme   30        manual mode
      12           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   100       manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
    Here are my installed cursor themes from the repositories (all Comix Cursos + some other):

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast