Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Trying out Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

I plugged in my spare hard drive this morning and decided to give Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 x64 a try. Everything seems to be working well, Gnome Shell is heavier than Xfce but lighter than Unity on the computer I am trying it on. I have not tried Gnome Shell since 3.4 in Fedora, things seem much nicer since then! I like the way compositing and effects are, just enough bling without overdoing it.

The interface looks clean and streamlined and the default applications are mostly what I use everyday except for evolution. Evolution seems nice and it seems pretty feature rich. I am going to run Ubuntu Gnome for a while and give it a fair chance before deciding what I want to stay with on my desktop. I liked the way Xubuntu ran on this hardware but I came across a couple of things I did not like.

I have read quite a few posts where people are saying that once you get used to the work flow with Gnome Shell it is really nice, so I am going see if that holds true for me. I figure that I have nothing to loose and it is fun trying something different.

Beans

Re: Trying out Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

I play with all of them and enjoy Ubuntu Gnome the most. It has been great testing them all and watching the changes from one to another.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    I am going to run Ubuntu Gnome for a while and give it a fair chance before deciding what I want to stay with on my desktop
    I have not tried Ubuntu GNOME, but I did add GNOME Shell to Ubuntu 14.04, like I had done with Ubuntu 12.04. Still can't decide which I like better between Unity and GNOME Shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GNOME Shell is really nice. I miss it's first iteration though, personally. https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/scr...rview-test.png

It can be a bit cumbersome at first, but once you get down how to switch between everything it's very smooth. I love how they've implemented the workspaces, it's awesome. Email on one desktop, my compilation on another, internet on another, music on another. Less clutter on one screen.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans

I have been trying to find the best desktop environment for this particular desktop. I have Ubuntu 14.04 x64 installed on my laptop and it runs great but my desktop had some issues and I have been checking out my options. I want to stay with an LTS release and I just was not completely happy with Xubuntu on my desktop after discovering some problems with it...

I thought Ubuntu Gnome might be a good fit and so far I am really enjoying it! I am going to run Ubuntu Gnome for a while to let myself get used to using it. I gave Unity a fair chance and ended up really liking it so I am going to do the same with Gnome Shell. My laptop is just how I want it with Unity and I want to have my desktop the same way.

I really like the newer desktop environments and so far I have had no problems with full screen flash using Ubuntu Gnome. Gnome Shell also feels quick and responsive on the desktops hardware. Ideally, I can run the LTS releases on both machines and be set for some time to come. So far Ubuntu Gnome looks like a keeper on my desktop.

It really does not help when all of the LTS releases are so good this release cycle!

Beans

I watched some videos about Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 and I could not believe how customizable the system is! I was amazed at the Gnome Classic session provided by default, it had a Gnome 2x layout with a more modern twist. I also watched a demonstration of what could be done with the Gnome Tweak Tool also provided by default.

I was blown away by just how different you could make the system look and feel with the tweak tool! The developers did an astonishing job of making the system so configurable! For an LTS release Ubuntu Gnome has a huge variety of features, simply unbelievable! I am really glad I gave this version a try on my desktop, it is an amazing piece of work.

The Ubuntu Gnome Team should be very proud of all that they accomplished in this release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have been using UG for a few months now and loving it. I have it tweaked to where it looks more like the classic Gnome (Apps and Places on the top bar and window list on the lower bar). But I have been using the hot corner a lot lately so I don't hardly use the extensions anymore. I guess I am weaning off the old way and embracing the new.

I also installed 3.12 from the Gnome staging PPA some time ago and it has been stable so far.
    Registered Linux User #372124

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 ships without Unity, and is supported for 3 years instead of 5. Besides that, how does it differ from Ubuntu 14.04 with GNOME Shell added?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 ships without Unity, and is supported for 3 years instead of 5. Besides that, how does it differ from Ubuntu 14.04 with GNOME Shell added?
    It doesn't give you option to go with Unity if you want to on login screen

Well, jokes aside, from what I've been hearing they are basically same under the hood and that is also one of the reason why Gnome shell is quite stable on Unity. (At least it was for the days I abused it before going for Xubu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Ubuntu-Gnome as well. I only have one complaint and it's minor but still an irritant and may provide an insight to the mindset at gnome. The method of suspending a desktop machine is pretty counter intuitive to me. What other frequently used function requires a modifier key? Previous gnome shell installs supported the alternative status menu extension which worked very well. The powers-that-be at gnome seem to have removed that extension for 3.10. Why? I have no idea. I've read they feel that a 'suspend' menu item is not required, just close the laptop lid. Not using a laptop? Too bad for me. I can deal with alt-click on the power button. My wife, who is rather set in her ways is less enthusiastic. I set her machine up with a desktop launcher that uses Debian's pm-utils suspend function. I learned about granting desktop users single function SUDO authority so it was not a total waste.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast