Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu Startup Application

Beans

Lubuntu Startup Application

I am currently running Lubuntu and I am needing this:

Code:
    xinput --set-prop "Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)" "Synaptics Finger" 10 10 240

to run whenever the computer starts up. This is what allows my trackpad on the laptop to function properly. I downloaded "Default applications for LXSession" which did not work. How would I go about achieving this?

Beans

Re: Lubuntu Startup Appliaction

Well, run-this-at-boot is pretty much what Upstart does: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/

Do you want it to run at boot (before login), or do you want it to run upon login?
    Big difference.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; May 4th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Verax View Post
    ... I downloaded "Default applications for LXSession" which did not work. ...
    What do you mean by "I downloaded "Default applications for LXSession""? Why did you need to download it? Where did you download it from? IMO, it's part of a default Lubuntu installation and there's no need to download it.

• Normally, you just need to click on the Menu, then expand Preferences, and select "Default Applications for LXsession". Again, this is there by default; there's no need to "download" it at all!
    • You'll get a screen (after a small popup notice of updating or something).
    • Click on the Autostart tab on the left.
    • Paste in your code in the box next to "Add".
    • Click on "Add".
    • Make sure "Disable Autostarted Appplications" is set to "No"
    • Close the window.
    • Look at ~/.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart. That should be a plain text file with just one line in it and that line should be the code you added through the "Default applications for LXSession" GUI.
    • Log out.
    • Log in. The code should run by itself and your laptop's trackpad should function normally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I apologize, it was already installed. But, I tried exactly what you said, and it does not work. Though, I may be doing something wrong. I am relatively new to Lubuntu and Linux operating systems in general.

Here is a screenshot of what I did:

desktop 1_001.jpg

Beans

I will ask people on the Lubuntu mailing list about your problem.
    Please confirm that the code you use works perfectly when you enter it from a terminal.
    Also, why do you have "Zeitgeist Datahub"? How did you get that? It isn't part of Lubuntu.

I've linked to your problem here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ay/007426.html and on a Facebook page where several Lubuntu users hangout. Let's hope
    Last edited by vasa1; May 4th, 2014 at 05:49 AM.

Beans

There's been one response which looks very promising. You can read it here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ay/007427.html and I'm quoting it below as well:
    From my previous experience with other command-line tools for various X11 configurations there is a chance they do not work when specified in ~/.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart. I guess they are run too early and their settings get overwritten by the system after that point.

So if the command you are interested in works if you run it manually after login, but it seems not to work when put in ~/.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart, then what works for me in such cases is to make a small bash script with a sleep someseconds and then the command. Then I call the script from ~/.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart, rather than the command directly. Like this I can experiment with the sleep timeout, until I find a value that works. In my computers that have SSD the sleep time is as small as 1 or up to 3 seconds to be really sure. In HDD computers, you may need to experiment with much longer sleep values sometimes, if in doubt use 60 seconds or higher.
    I have a strong feeling this should solve your problem.

If you don't know how to make the script just ask!

Edit: actually, it's quite easy.

Make a new folder in your home folder (in case you haven't already) and call it bin.
    Use Leafpad to open a new text file.
    Paste in the following:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    (sleep 10s &&
    xinput --set-prop "Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)" "Synaptics Finger" 10 10 240) &
    Save that file as touchpad in the bin folder you created in earlier. You could call it anything else and add the .sh suffix but no suffix is really needed.
    Open your file manager (PCManFM).
    Open the bin folder. You should see the file called touchpad (or whatever).
    Right-click on it.
    Select Properties.
    Then select Permissions. And, in Access Control, click in the space to the right of Execute.
    Click on Only Owner.
    Click on Okay.

Now, go back to the Autostart screen (Default Applications for LXSession).
    Delete the entry you made earlier.
    Just paste in the full path of the script you created earlier so that Lubuntu will autostart that script. So, you'll be pasting in something like /home/vasa1/bin/touchpad (with your own username instead of vasa1).

Now, log out and log back in. If all is well, you should be good to go.
    I've used 10s but you can reduce it once you know things are working.
    All the best!

(You could use the terminal to create the script and make it executable but you said you're new to Linux so I didn't go that route.)
    Last edited by vasa1; May 4th, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    There's been one response which looks very promising. You can read it here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ay/007427.html and I'm quoting it below as well:

I have a strong feeling this should solve your problem.

If you don't know how to make the script just ask!

Edit: actually, it's quite easy.

Make a new folder in your home folder (in case you haven't already) and call it bin.
    Use Leafpad to open a new text file.
    Paste in the following:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    (sleep 10s &&
    xinput --set-prop "Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)" "Synaptics Finger" 10 10 240) &
    Save that file as touchpad in the bin folder you created in earlier. You could call it anything else and add the .sh suffix but no suffix is really needed.
    Open your file manager (PCManFM).
    Open the bin folder. You should see the file called touchpad (or whatever).
    Right-click on it.
    Select Properties.
    Then select Permissions. And, in Access Control, click in the space to the right of Execute.
    Click on Only Owner.
    Click on Okay.

Now, go back to the Autostart screen (Default Applications for LXSession).
    Delete the entry you made earlier.
    Just paste in the full path of the script you created earlier so that Lubuntu will autostart that script. So, you'll be pasting in something like /home/vasa1/bin/touchpad (with your own username instead of vasa1).

Now, log out and log back in. If all is well, you should be good to go.
    I've used 10s but you can reduce it once you know things are working.
    All the best!

(You could use the terminal to create the script and make it executable but you said you're new to Linux so I didn't go that route.)

I followed all of these steps, but it still did not work. If I execute the touchpad.sh it fixes the touchpad, but it never executes via the autostart.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Verax View Post
    I followed all of these steps, but it still did not work. If I execute the touchpad.sh it fixes the touchpad, but it never executes via the autostart.
    Sorry to hear that. I'm out of ideas.

Beans

I would try to make it executable in the terminal before digging any further: "chmod +x /path/to/touchpad_script"

The terminal might be intimidating at first, but as you get used to it, you'll find it incredibly useful.

EDIT: also, would you be able to send another screenshot of your current Startup Applications window?
    Last edited by Elastic_Potential; May 4th, 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

This is how I create manual update shortcut:

1- Create a text file (e.g. with leafpad) named: manual-update.desktop
    2- Insert the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=Manual Update
    Icon=ibus-engine
    Exec=xterm -e 'sudo apt-get upgrade'
    Terminal=false

3- Save the file and double click on it to test if works...

You can do the same to run your command, you only need to replace Exec=xterm -e 'sudo apt-get upgrade' with your command. It might be something like this: Exec=xterm -e 'xinput --set-prop "Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa)" "Synaptics Finger" 10 10 240'

Final step - Once you've done, place the shortcut (.desktop file) on ~/.config/autostart/ or /home/USER_NAME/.config/autostart/

Log off and log in again to test if works...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast