Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting pics from windows to lubuntu

Beans

Re: Getting pics from windows to lubuntu

Thanks for your concern Goten0007 and monkeybrain....I will give this live mode a try, as SeijiSensei mentioned as well I believe. I'm off to bed now, but I will update as soon as I am able to try this

Beans

So, my father in law booted up his computer in safe mode, did a system restore and was able to get back into windows. I put all important info on an sd card and installed 14.04. Thank you again for all your help everybody. Especially SeijiSensei, you went to a lot of work to type all that out. I have their computer for the week, so now all that remains is getting it ready so it's easy to use for them to stream their shows. I am also wondering if I should keep 14.04, or downgrade to kubuntu or lubuntu. The computer has a 1.6 Ghz dual core processor, 1 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive. Any opinions? Or should I ask this question in a new post? I really want it to be fast, but user friendly (they have never used linux before). And I would like it to look good. A lot to ask, I know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, you should either get upgrade in RAM or use Xubuntu. Your processor is more than fine, but even if Linux says it is fine running on 256 (or was it 512) MB RAM or something like that, it is better to use more than 2GB, or at least 2GB.

And yeah, make a separate thread. Not sure about the section of the forum though, try ''Linux chat'' one.

Beans

The other versions of Ubuntu (kubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu) aren't downgrades - they're just different desktop environments. Lubuntu would be the fastest, but also the most "bare-bones". Xubuntu is faster than regular ubuntu and kubuntu, but with more features and more "user-friendly-ness" than lubuntu.

Beans

OK, thanks guys (or girls). I'll mark this thread as solved and move on. Appreciate the advice!

Beans

I'd double the memory to 2 GB and install a decent video card if the machine relies on Intel motherboard graphics.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12