Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to delete (and change?) Ubuntu and it's partitions to re-install Windows 8?

Hybrid View

Beans

How to delete (and change?) Ubuntu and it's partitions to re-install Windows 8?

Hi guys
    I've installed Ubuntu but I don't like it so I want to go back to WIndows 8.
    Problem is that I've heard WIndows 8 doesn't support linux partitions and we have to change/delete something.
    Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to delete (and change?) Ubuntu and it's partitions to re-install Windows 8?

You can do this with the live cd/dvd/usb you used to install ubuntu. Boot it up, run an app called gparted that is included and format 1 or more partitions to ntfs then you can install windows in that space. It goes without saying, make sure you have a copy of anything you want to save and unplug it from the computer while you do this.

Beans

Re: How to delete (and change?) Ubuntu and it's partitions to re-install Windows 8?

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    You can do this with the live cd/dvd/usb you used to install ubuntu. Boot it up, run an app called gparted that is included and format 1 or more partitions to ntfs then you can install windows in that space. It goes without saying, make sure you have a copy of anything you want to save and unplug it from the computer while you do this.
    actually I've tried that many times. do you think the cd has broken files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sure the Windows 8 DVD/CD/USB will guide you through formatting the disk when you boot from it.

Out of curiosity how come you didn't like Ubuntu ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mekon2 View Post
    I'm sure the Windows 8 DVD/CD/USB will guide you through formatting the disk when you boot from it.

Out of curiosity how come you didn't like Ubuntu ?
    I was used to Win8 & stuff....

Beans

also when I format everything to NTFS no drives appear on the win 8 install

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try
    Device -> Create Partition Table
    Select GPT

Note that this will create a new partition table.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans

anyone?

Beans

...wow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast