Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [PPC] Finally Lubuntu Run on my Quad G5

Beans

Lightbulb [PPC] Finally Lubuntu Run on my Quad G5

Yesterday i finally have Lubuntu PPC work on my Quad G5 2.5 ghz was since 12.x i was try to have it start the installation on my machine with X1900gt but without success... every time i had a black screen when the graphic system turn on ... i had been try all the distro ppc on the net from ubuntu to gentoo with fedora all didn't have Xog running all dont attach the video , i swapped my X1900gt with Nv6600 but with the same result... After some strange message on other distos (no x86 bios compatible ) regarding the video board .. yesterday the idea ... I put a RadeonHD 4450 Pcie on my Late 2005 G5 with 2 monitor ... One monitor was for Open firmware and mac os X board (ppc bios) the X1900 ... The other i use for the RadeonHD board ... Turn on the machine and Surprise everything on Lubuntu 14.x start run , i make the installation (everything goes ok) , and now i have Lubuntu installed and working on my machine. I have the reported bug of bed colors on mesa , but Xeno74 gave me today a tip i will test later the unofficial build ... why of my post ? because thanks of Lubuntu i can have the new video board run on my machine Not all know that the last video board "officially" working on G5 late 2005 are the X1900 Gt 256mb and the Nvidia 7800gtx 512mb.. If the dev need i can help making the report of all problems i will encounter during my Lubuntu Quad G5 Experience Thanks for all Luigi (tlosm)
    Last edited by luigiburdo; April 10th, 2015 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Finally Lubuntu Run on my Quad G5

Moved to Apple Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Thanks and sorry for my mistake

Edit:
    I forget to mention : I have the video full working from Hdmi of the RadeonHD and the Audio too
    Last edited by luigiburdo; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by luigiburdo View Post
    Thanks and sorry for my mistake

Edit:
    I forget to mention : I have the video full working from Hdmi of the RadeonHD and the Audio too
    No worries, the Apple Users subforum is a little hidden
    It is dedicated to people running Ubuntu on Apple hardware. You'll find interesting threads in here.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Yesterday i finally have Lubuntu PPC work on my Quad G5 2.5 ghz
    was since 12.x i was try to have it start the installation on my machine with X1900gt but without success...
    every time i had a black screen when the graphic system turn on ...

i had been try all the distro ppc on the net from ubuntu to gentoo with fedora all didn't have Xog running all dont attach the video , i swapped my X1900gt with Nv6600 but with the same result...
    After some strange message on other distos (no x86 bios compatible ) regarding the video board .. yesterday the idea ...
    I put a RadeonHD 4450 Pcie on my Late 2005 G5 with 2 monitor ...
    One monitor was for Open firmware and mac os X board (ppc bios) the X1900 ...
    The other i use for the RadeonHD board ...

Turn on the machine and Surprise everything on Lubuntu 14.x start run , i make the installation (everything goes ok) , and now i have Lubuntu installed and working on my machine.
    I have the reported bug of bed colors on mesa , but Xeno74 gave me today a tip i will test later the unofficial build ...

why of my post ? because thanks of Lubuntu i can have the new video board run on my machine
    Not all know that the last video board "officially" working on G5 late 2005 are the X1900 Gt 256mb and the Nvidia 7800gtx 512mb..

If the dev need i can help making the report of all problems i will encounter during my Lubuntu Quad G5 Experience

Thanks for all
    Luigi (tlosm)
    That's very interesting! Thanks for posting your experience!

Beans

Thanks xeno but i think will need a better optimization.
    First thing:
    after launching the "software updater" tool the system become totally unstable (some kernel upgrades?)
    Second thing
    The second video card (macosx side) spinning like mad ... some time yes some times no...
    Third thing
    I try to upgrade the MesaLibs like in Hyperion Entertainment forum but i dont have success in installing ... there is a svn for this unofficial release?
    Im not really good with linux was from Apus in 2001 i stop using it .
    i have to re enter in matrix

another thing how to know if my system is running on Quad cpu and not only in single ? i have a strange feeling ..

Beans

Edit: I had been found a Monitor for Cpu the system run in Multi Core but
    when i run the System Information and run a benchmark eg CPU blowFish only CPU3 on 4 running the bench.

Beans

I try to upgrade the MesaLibs like in Hyperion Entertainment forum but i dont have success in installing ... there is a svn for this unofficial release?
    The installation is very simple.

Unofficial Mesa packages downloads: http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de/ami...nofficial.html

Install instructions for example for Mesa 10.0.3 unofficial:

1. Unpack the archive MesaLib-10.0.3-powerpc-unofficial.tar.bz2
    2. Copy it as root to the directory /usr/local/ -> sudo cp -R mesa10 /usr/local/
    3. Set up the new library path -> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/mesa10/lib
    4. Test it with glxgears. When you see the correct colors then you use the new version of Mesa. After that you can start some games for example Neverball.

If you want that Mesa works system wide then you have to add the line export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= to the .profile file in your home directory.

SuperTuxKart needs a special run_game.sh for the new Mesa: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./bin/:/usr/local/mesa10/lib bin/supertuxkart

Another thread: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment....hp?f=35&t=2359

Beans

Thank you Xeno
    I will check it .

I have to check better why after installing some simple packages taken from the "Lubuntu Software Center" the machine start have a core dump and become ultra super unstable... and force me reinstall everything from beginning.
    Plus need to understand if the temperatures sensors is working inside "in lubuntu side" for the automatic spinning of fans and the pump when the cpu start becoming hot
    Last edited by luigiburdo; May 3rd, 2014 at 08:27 AM.

Beans

Edit: the cpu sensor is working i use Gkrellm and look like everything is ok
    for make the audio working i installed Kmix

now is time to check the mesa

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast