Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support confusion with LTS

Beans

Support confusion with LTS

whats this about support ... someone told me if i installed lubuntu-desktop on ubuntu14.04 LTS ... lubuntu-desktop package will get 5 years support.

see lubuntu is 3 year support for LTS so how will a lubuntu package be supported for 5 years thats the question?

also if i install minimal ubuntu using the 14.04 LTS mini iso, and then i install lubuntu-core ... will the distro become lubuntu or will it be ubuntu? so will there 5 years support or 3 years support?
    very important

this is a fundamental but very important confusion.

Beans

LTS 14.04 support confusion

whats this about support ... someone told me if i installed lubuntu-desktop on ubuntu14.04 LTS ... lubuntu-desktop package will get 5 years support.

see lubuntu is 3 year support for LTS so how will a lubuntu package be supported for 5 years thats the question?

also if i install minimal ubuntu using the 14.04 LTS mini iso, and then i install lubuntu-core ... will the distro become lubuntu or will it be ubuntu? so will there 5 years support or 3 years support?
    very important

this is a fundamental but very important confusion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Support confusion with LTS

Thread Moved to Ubuntu, Linux, and OS Chat

not support about support.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: LTS 14.04 support confusion

The common program packages of Ubuntu and Lubuntu (many packages under the hood) are supported for 5 years. But the Lubuntu specific packages are only supported for 3 years.

Lubuntu Core is a smaller version (with fewer program packages) compared to standard Lubuntu. If you start from the mini.iso and install Lubuntu Desktop you'll get standard Lubuntu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    Lubuntu and Lubuntu Core have LTS for 3 years. See this link

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Threads merged. Please do not post duplicates.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Re: LTS 14.04 support confusion

ok but if i start from mini iso and install lubuntu-core ... still will i get Lubuntu or Ubuntu with lubuntu-core package and thus 5 years support?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Support is on a package by package basis.

Most of the packages are common to Lubuntu and Ubuntu (and for that matter Xubuntu and Kubuntu as well) and will be supported for 5 years. The ones that are specific to Lubuntu will stop being maintained after 3 years and if you want full support you will need to upgrade.

Lubuntu and Ubuntu are both free so you will be able to upgrade to 16.04LTS once it's released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there.
    It's a bit of a minefield isn't it?
    have a look at this, see if it helps at all
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175646

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would not describe this matter as a minefield. Here are the facts.

Until the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support was 5 years for a server edition LTS and 3 years for a desktop edition LTS. But things changed with 12.04. Both server edition and desktop editions of Ubuntu LTS releases get 5 years support.

Because Ubuntu is open source other developers are able to take Ubuntu and modify it to change the desktop environment. We call these modified versions of Ubuntu "flavours." Those developers have limited resources. They still follow the same 6 monthly release pattern as the Ubuntu developers but they cannot give the same length of support. It would be wrong to claim that they can give a certain length of support when they know they cannot.

So, the choice is this, spend a lot of effort maintaining support for a release and fall behind with releasing the next version of their flavour, or keep up to date with releases but limit the support period.

According to the old definition, 3 years support is Long Term Support. Just think of this matter as Ubuntu developers being a bit more generous with their time and skills then they were previously. And be thankful that we have such a thing as Free and Open Source Software.

An alternative comes to mind. Ubuntu developers could revert to the old ways of only having 3 years support for desktop LTS releases. Then no one should complain. But then secretly provide 5 year support for the desktop to commercial enterprises (companies) registered as using Ubuntu. Of course, there will have to be a fee for this service.

Happy with that? We get something very good for nothing and still people complain. I remember a post back in 2012. Someone had heard that Ubuntu 12.04 was going to get 5 year support and they were complaining that Ubuntu 10.04 was only getting 3 year support. Why couldn't 10.04 be given 5 years support. They demanded. Releases reach end of life. It is a fact. Life moves on.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 2nd, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

grahammechanical ... I am not complaining about the 3 year or 5 year thing ... i am just trying to get the confusion I have corrected ... One thing I came to know is that support is per package basis ... which means if its an ubuntu package it will be supported for 5 years and if its lubuntu it will be supported for 3 years ... which means that if I want lxde and 5 year support then I will have to use lxde package ...

almost clear the confusion ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast