Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: newbie's errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

It may make a difference.

Are dates different. And how do dates compare to mine posted above?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

Ok - I am worried about replacing my XP partition's SP3 ntldr and ntdetect with old SP1 versions ... I need to have some sense that this is ok.

Anyone out there know?

Again - ThinkPads come without reinstall or recovery discs, they come with a recovery partition (Rescue and Recovery) that isn't behaving properly (is not allowing me to copy ntdetect and ntldr to external media - doesn't give me a proper drop down list.) So what I'm using is an old Dell XP recovery disk (2002).

Can I assume that by keeping copies of these files, I can correct things if they go wrong by just ... puttin' 'em back?

Again - I am someone who knows nothing about computers. I learn fast, but I know nothing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by andrea b; May 7th, 2014 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok - I don't do well navigating by the command line ... never quite get where I'm trying to go. But if I click Properties, both of my SP1 files are 9/3/02; my SP3 files from Preload (XP partition) are 8/4/04. Is this the same result I'd get by navigating to open the file and using ls -l?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: newbie's errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It may make a difference.

Are dates different. And how do dates compare to mine posted above?
    Ok - I don't do well navigating by the command line ... never quite get where I'm trying to go. But if I click Properties, both of my SP1 files are 9/3/02; my SP3 files from Preload (XP partition) are 8/4/04. Is this the same result I'd get by navigating to open the file and using ls -l?

And - I really appreciate all the time you are taking with me. Especially considering there must be a tidal wave of XP refugees.
    Last edited by andrea b; May 7th, 2014 at 01:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

andrea b; Hello,

I continue to closely follow this thread. I wish I had the means to assist further, it is "frowned upon" to respond in any thread without making a contribution to the thread at large, thus I have been silent. I am - with no regret - now Window's illiterate and do not have the means to progress this thread.

Exercise continued patience for others to offer the required advise and means to re-install Windows' boot code.

if a wood chuck cud chuck wood
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

UPDATE...

Ok, I was able to get into the Rescue and Recovery partition, copy NTDETECT and NTLDR (note upper case) to usb drive, and put them into i386 (removing the ntdetect and ntldr files that were there - note lower case).

I don't know if this is relevant, but I found what I imagine to be the 'original' NTDETECT and NTLDR (upper case) files *outside* the Windows folder on mounting / opening the partition, listed at the bottom of the directory along with boot.ini and other stuff. Does this make sense / is this relevant to the problem? I realize that how things look in the GUI may ... not be relevant.

And again - wow - thanks for hanging in there with me.
    Last edited by andrea b; May 7th, 2014 at 02:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Case does not matter in Windows, but does in Linux. So if caps or not should make any difference.

It depends on how you boot. If you boot your Windows the boot files are at c:\ or Windows root or top level. But if you boot with another Windows, CD, or Linux it will be the mount but the top level of that mount. If that makes any sense.

Just save copies. Not sure if all this will help or not.
    If you can get into Windows recovery, you should run the full set of commands from post #23.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Case does not matter in Windows, but does in Linux. So if caps or not should make any difference.

It depends on how you boot. If you boot your Windows the boot files are at c:\ or Windows root or top level. But if you boot with another Windows, CD, or Linux it will be the mount but the top level of that mount. If that makes any sense.

Just save copies. Not sure if all this will help or not.
    If you can get into Windows recovery, you should run the full set of commands from post #23.
    Well - having transferred the files to i386 - no change. XP disc still does not recognize my HD.

So, Question 1: when you say 'the top level / top of the partition', what exactly do you mean? I copied the two files into Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 in the partition (which I would assume is C:\...). I'm assuming I did this correctly? Is this 'the top'?

Question 2: If I click 'repair MBR' in Partition wizard (or did so with GParted), would I likely be able to boot into XP, run the tests from there, and then reinstall Grub if needs be?

Thanks so much ... sorry if I'm wearing out my welcome here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All the Linux tools install a Windows work alike boot loader to the MBR, I do not think that is your issue.
    And if partition is NTFS, boot sector NTFS and you have boot flag, I do not know why Windows would not see the NTFS partition and attempt to repair it.

You can write a new BS Boot sector with testdisk. I think it writes a XP type to boot with ntldr, not a newer type that is Vista or later that boots with bootmgr.

More info here:
    If Microsoft's Checkdisk (chkdsk) failed to repair the MFT, run TestDisk, also rebuild boot sector
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advan...and_MFT_Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

All the Linux tools install a Windows work alike boot loader to the MBR, I do not think that is your issue.
    And if partition is NTFS, boot sector NTFS and you have boot flag, I do not know why Windows would not see the NTFS partition and attempt to repair it.

You can write a new BS Boot sector with testdisk. I think it writes a XP type to boot with ntldr, not a newer type that is Vista or later that boots with bootmgr.

More info here:
    If Microsoft's Checkdisk (chkdsk) failed to repair the MFT, run TestDisk, also rebuild boot sector
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advan...and_MFT_Repair
    Unfortunately, Testdisk didn't flag anything. I ran it a few times, first ignoring its warning about incorrect number of heads / cylinders (255 vs 240) and then changing the value to 240 (there was plenty of information about this 'fix geometry' warning message in this and other forums ... ). I didn't get alerted to fix the Boot Sector.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I've learned a lot. Like: I should have come to the forum with the original slow boot problem, and avoided all this!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast