Thread: Ubuntu ONE replacement maybe google drive etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu ONE replacement maybe google drive etc.

HI
    I need a place to share my uploads. So best a folder that I could simply give the download link and the users could download whatever content they want.
    I've tried google drive, but it seems as if I can't download items in a shared folder? For ex. it opens zip files but not downloads. Am I doing something wrong or you have an alternative?
    Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu ONE replacement maybe google drive etc.

If you intend to share the files with the entire world, any of the online storage services can be used - box, g-drive, whatever Microsoft uses, whatever Apple uses, plus there must be 20 others like dropbox.

Heck, you can get a web hosting service for $20/yr.

If you want to control access, then using something like owncloud behind a VPN would be smarter or even just setup an sftp folder that you can share with selected people. You can probably host this yourself on any broadband connection.

"Shared folders" are usually done via CIFS. CIFS is NOT secure and generally blocked by every ISP in the world due to that. They are protecting end-users from themselves. sftp is a better alternative for similar capabilities.

So - which protocol do you want to use? SFTP, HTTP, something else? This will determine which client programs can access the storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

dropbox is the easiest IMO and has a linux client. of course you could host something yourself but this is using existing hosting services.
    Last edited by dannyboy79; May 1st, 2014 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have just looked at dropbox and they want me to download and install a app. I want to upload some *.zip or *.7z files and give the link of the parent folder to my users. So they could check for updates themselves, but I don't want everyone to find it. Google etc. any searchengines must stay away...
    So should I install dropbox, will that do the job?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you don't want a search engine to find it, then do not put it on the internet without requiring a login and strong password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    I have just looked at dropbox and they want me to download and install a app. I want to upload some *.zip or *.7z files and give the link of the parent folder to my users. So they could check for updates themselves, but I don't want everyone to find it. Google etc. any searchengines must stay away...
    So should I install dropbox, will that do the job?
    Thanks
    The dropbox client is in the repos.Get it using Software Center
    16.10 amd64

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. Hmm I'll have a look at google drive today as it's possible to download zips etc. Anyone knows how their mailing list works. Do those contacts need to be google accounts or any emails? How to upload contacts? Could they get to me asking for permission? That would be the easiest for me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by MikeCyber; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:03 AM.