Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot with XP

Beans

Dual boot with XP

Hi,
    This will be my first time installing Ubuntu, I have WinXP currently installed. Not so long ago I installed a new HDD and I made several partitions, the 1st is C: for windoz, the 2nd is 15gb, and I specifically made it that size because I wanted to install Ubuntu there but never got around to it. Not I am ready to try it but I've hit a couple of snags.

I used UUI and put Ubuntu on a flash drive. The 1st attempt was with the 64bit ver, the DL site said anything over 2gb it was recommended. It hung on what looked like an initialization screen in a section that was titled "Trace Call:". Now I am trying the 32bit version and I'd like to know a few things before I continue with the installation.

1. Which format is best? Ext4? The 2nd partition is currently NTFS
    2. What are "mount points"?
    3. If I select the 2nd partition to install Ubuntu, what mount point should I use?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New to Linux

I would go for ext4, here you can find a comparison chart http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...wiki/2290.aspx

Here is a definition of mount points: http://www.linfo.org/mount_point.html and a definition of filesystem: http://www.linfo.org/filesystem.html
    In the links above it is explained correctly. Here a briefer explanation http://askubuntu.com/questions/20680...ount-something

Normally you need at least 3 partitions; one for root (/), one for home (/home) and one for swap. If you have enough RAM, some people say it is not neccesary
    to create a swap partition (above 4GB). So, if you have windows installed on sda1 (the 'a' stands for your primary hard disk, and the numbers for the partition;
    if you insert a usb or have more hard disks, you will see sdb, sdc ...), I would make 3 additional partitions, say 5GB for root (/), 2GB for swap and the remainder for your home directory (/home).
    Here is a guide you can follow to install ubuntu http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-instal...y-tahr#install

Be careful with the master boot redord (MBR), and not to install over or delete the windows filesystem.
    One vision, one purpose.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You might want to check out the stuff in my sig line. Good luck with Linux and welcome to the forum!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good reads, thanks for that.
    Last edited by suprleg; April 27th, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
    "What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly - that is the first law of nature." - Voltaire

Beans

a seperate /Home partition is not a requirement. but is suggested by many. I make a periodic copy of my home folder with all its hidden files to an external drive.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, having different Home benefits when you install fresh Linux when you're in trouble with older one, your settings with software on older Linux are preserved plus your valuable data too. But it's by no means a must deed. It is up to you if you are careful, it wont ever bother you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A separate /home partition can be useful, but if your total install is small (say, less than 50GB) or if you plan to store all your data on a shared partition with Windows, it's better not to make a /home partition. You will encounter the situation where one partition is full and the other has relatively a lot of space left. The partition you use for installing the system can best be ext4 and has to be mounted at /.

Beans

Well I finally got Ubuntu installed, so I thought.

When I try to boot to Ubuntu i get this error: "[ 9.954563] systemd-udevd[310]: Error calling EVIOCSKECODE: Invalid argument"

After the error the screen changes to what looks like a load screen, a redish color background and "UBUNTU" in bold white letters and some progress dots. Once the last dot is shaded white the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.

Here are the steps I followed for the install.
    I made 3 partitions, 5gb for "/" (<assuming that is root), 3Gb for "swap" and 26.95Gb for home.

Also, I an willing to start from scratch so here is how my drive is setup at the moment,
    300GB total
    >(partitions are in the correct order from beginning of the drive to the end)
    C: 15.25Gb - (windowz xp) the only apps in the program files folder are some that don't allow custom install.
    : 5.50GB - ext4 root (/)
    : 3.03Gb - ext4 swap
    : 26.95GB - ext4 /home
    E: 15.25 - (Only apps and tools here)
    D: 35.52 - (mostly games here)
    V: 100.50Gb - [videos]
    X: 25.50GB - [system]- upgrades, patches, drivers, etc
    Y: 10.25GB - [Recovery] - planned use is a custom recovery partition
    Z: 60.31GB - [storage] - app updates, utilities, wares, etc..

In case you need to know any of the specs on the machine I'm installing Ubuntu on:
    MB - MSI_7309v1.3(K9N6PGM2-V) rom v9.1, AMIbios v2.6
    CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Memory 2.75Gb (suppose to be 3Gb but the on board graphics share some of it.
    (I plan to add a PCIe card but don't know which one would be best for this board yet.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

5.5GB root partition is too small. The base system just fits in, without operating headroom. When you want to install something it will be full soon. If you only have 35GB total disk space available for Ubuntu, don't make a separate home partition.

Beans

Re: Dual boot with XP

XP is a dead OS, get rid of it and give Ubuntu the whole drive (L/xubuntu probably runs better on old xp machines) This XP necrophilia has to stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast