Thread: Nautilus fails to launch, Xubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nautilus fails to launch, Xubuntu 14.04

Hi all,

Seems Nautilus is pre-installed on Xubuntu 14.04 alongside Thunar, although Thunar is the default. I prefer Nautilus, so I tried setting it as the preferred File Manager in settings....when nothing seemed to happen, I tried running it from Terminal and received this error:

(nautilus:2945): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Is this a bug? This is a fresh install of Xubuntu other than some minor theme tweaks and installing of the usual packages (LibreOffice, Skype, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by RallyDarkstrike; May 7th, 2014 at 12:01 AM.

Beans

Re: Nautilus fails to launch - Xubuntu 14.04...?

Nautilus is not pre-installed by default. I get the same warning message on my system, but nautilus still launches just fine. Did you already try to reinstall it?
    GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    Nautilus is not pre-installed by default. I get the same warning message on my system, but nautilus still launches just fine. Did you already try to reinstall it?
    I didn't try to reinstall it, no (and if what you say is the case, it's not installed on my machine at all then!)...so it may just work fine when I get home and try it! I assumed it was pre-installed as it is listed as the only other option under the 'Preferred Programs' settings for 'File Managers' aside from Thunar......a stupid mistake on my part, I guess, but at the same time, logically, why would it be listed there if it WASN'T installed...? Seems a poor idea...

Beans
    Distro

Ok, tried reinstalling Nautilus, same issue as before...I still get the same error message as above when running it from Terminal and, instead of Nautilus launching, I get the 'Files' file manager v.3.10.1 (according to its 'About' page), NOT Nautilus.

Any reason why its not launching properly? I've installed it twice now...once from the Ubuntu Software Center, and once from Terminal using apt-get...

Beans

I think Files is probably just a rebranding of what was Nautilus.

(I'm still on 12.04 - so I've still got Nautilus)
    Last edited by maglin2; May 6th, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, I guess you're right....I'm not a big fan of it :/

There's no Menu Bar and you can't save view settings per folder....seems like a step backwards to me!
    Last edited by RallyDarkstrike; May 6th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans
    Distro

Nautilus because it was what I have installed and am used to (and like very much) on my Linux Mint 14 netbook. However, I just installed Nemo on this new desktop with Xubuntu 14.04 and it's VERY similar to Nautilus, so I am very happy with it...thanks for the suggestion!