Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sudo commands don't work in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Re: sudo commands don't work in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

OK well let's try to fix that and see if the other error goes away as well - in the recovery root shell,

Code:
    chmod 644 /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
    which will make it read-only for everyone except the owner (root)

Beans

Never mind I just reset my whole laptop and that fixed it. Thanks fortifying to help though.

Beans

I mean for trying

Beans

Sorry for bringing this topic back...
    But I just wanted to say that I had this problem too.

I solved it by changing /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so permission

First, log into root account
    su

Insert root's password

Then change the file permissions. I did
    chmod 755 /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so

Btw, I only had this problem because I accidentally changed the whole /usr/lib permissions... =\
    Don't do this! I am having a lot of problems now.

But for this sudo problem, changing the sudoers.so permissions worked fine for me
    Last edited by Denis_Uyeda; July 17th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

I too am having an issue with this. I did the same thing as Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    OK well let's try to fix that and see if the other error goes away as well - in the recovery root shell,

Code:
    Code:
    sudo: error in /etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading plugin `sudoers_policy'
    sudo: /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so must be only be writable by owner
    sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins
    Unfortunately, I can't access the sudo command to fix the sudo commmand. The particular file also needs root permission to open and edit it, however, I can't access root, I never set a password for it, so I am locked out... Is there a way to manually configure the file(s) sudo.conf or sudoers.so file? I'm going to reinstall, but I'm more than likely going to run into this problem again.

Update: Recovery option did not work, same error is given. Upon looking at the file itself, "others" seems to still have read and write permission. Did not reinstall yet.
    Last edited by Sydney_Warner; December 28th, 2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Updated info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post

Code:
    Okay, so, I got it! I poked around and found I ha to remount the drive to do anything (http://askubuntu.com/questions/91188...pulation-error) while trying to change the root password. took a bit of poking around, but:
    From root menu in recovery mode:

Code:
    mount -rw -o remount /
    passwd root
    #enter your password twice
    exit
    Then I exited, booted, and from terminal:

Code:
    sydney@dragonsden:~$ su
    Password: 
    root@dragonsden:/home/sydney# cd
    root@dragonsden:~# chmod 644 /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
    To save time, or if you already know of the legend of the root account, then you could probably just do it from recovery. Sorry if I'm repeating you all, but in case another person like me who needs it spelled out comes along, it's here.

Now I have to figure out how to exit the root account safely. Thanks for your help guys! I'm a newbie at this, so this is really exciting to me.

Beans

You should be able to exit the root shell just by typing

Code:
    exit
    It should return you to the recovery mode menu, from which you can choose to continue to boot normally

Beans

I got here through a search so, I am not certain if I should ask a question or not. If nothing else please point me in to the proper area.
    What I seem to be running into when I use a sudo command in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS is it just continually asks me for a password. The cusor blinks for a few seconds then goes to a solid block and not blinking. First, I haven't setup a pass word in Terminal and don't know the reasons it is asking for one. The next problem is even it I try to type in my system sign-on password, no text gets intered after the cusor. It is like it has shut down with no indication of anything being entered in by typing in anything on the keyboard. The only responce I get is if I hit return it will go blank for a second and on another line say sorry please try again.
    The same thing happens even if I click and close the terminal and then reopen it. I am totally new at this and also totally stumped at what to try. I read most of the Unbuntu users manual but it doesn't address any of this.
    Thank you for any help in this situation, Jim

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by james_king2 View Post
    I got here through a search so, I am not certain if I should ask a question or not. If nothing else please point me in to the proper area.
    What I seem to be running into when I use a sudo command in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS is it just continually asks me for a password. The cusor blinks for a few seconds then goes to a solid block and not blinking. First, I haven't setup a pass word in Terminal and don't know the reasons it is asking for one. The next problem is even it I try to type in my system sign-on password, no text gets intered after the cusor. It is like it has shut down with no indication of anything being entered in by typing in anything on the keyboard. The only responce I get is if I hit return it will go blank for a second and on another line say sorry please try again.
    The same thing happens even if I click and close the terminal and then reopen it. I am totally new at this and also totally stumped at what to try. I read most of the Unbuntu users manual but it doesn't address any of this.
    Thank you for any help in this situation, Jim
    You are being asked for a password because prefixing a command line with "sudo" is one way of temporarily elevating user privileges to that of the Ubuntu equivalent of the Administrator account in Windows. If you're using the user account created during installation of Ubuntu, you should be able to use the same password as the one associated with your login. Don't panic if it doesn't show while you're typing, that's normal, and your password should be accepted.

More information can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Thanks, I did try my pass word /s but it still produces an error. I will check out the information given and see what happens, Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12