Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Leaving

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I'm Leaving

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    I'm using 12.04 still, and I intend to stay with it until the next LTS is at least a few months old.
    +1

Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS, solid smooth OS. Fun to use and dependable

And maybe in the Autumn, I'll think about loading 14.04LTS, after it's had a chance to harden.

Mileage will vary. For some Unity is the end of days... for me, it makes a lot of sense. Nice flowing DE, well placed application bar (that provides info) and top bar with global menu function and system info. Absolutely dig Dash, best search function of any OS. Well done with an application in focus and other applications running in the background - with information provided in the application bar and pop-ups. Unity is a great modern desktop environment

Hardware goes a long way in providing a good user experience. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 (Centrino 2 with 2GB of RAM) added a SSD (sale at Newegg) and 12.04 Unity is fast and smooth.

Again, not in any big hurry to leave Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS, well polished OS that's maintained through 2017

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    It's worth noting that you don't have to run Ubuntu to participate in these forums. I've been running Arch on my laptop for some time now, I come here for the conversation and the free cookies.
    Yep. I run Ubuntu on a couple VMs, but all my production stuff is Debian.

I upgraded a VM from 12.04 to 14.04 and it has some issues with crashing but they seem to be resolved now.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I always smirk when seeing these posts. The OP assumes Ubuntu 14.04 performs like this for everyone when in reality the opposite is often true. It's most likely an imcompatability on his system alone that's the issue. I for instanse have had the easiest experience possible with Ubuntu 14.04 compared to previous version which gave me headaches.

Also Windows isn't exactly great on all hardware equaly either. People just like to not think anymore :-/ and it makes me sad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicFlux View Post

Other distros exist that do a much better job than Ubuntu...
    My experience with 14.04, since the alpha releases, has been that it's a solid and reliable and polished released. Perfect and bug-free? Of course not. That's impossible.

Most credible reviews I've seen seem to agree.

Not asserting you aren't having real problems. Proprietary drivers, in particular, are frequent problem causers, and there is little anyone in FOSS can do about it. My recommendation is to avoid them. When that isn't possible, know how to back them out and return to the original FOSS drivers when the seemingly inevitable problems arise.

If you updated in place to 14.04, then the usual guidance about backing out PPA's and their software, and otherwise returning the system to default status, also applies.

The fact is that Canonical DO make money from Ubuntu, from many revenue streams. In recent years they have removed features that users found helpful, and replaced them with ones that frustrate and annoy. They've stopped listening, and for me that is their biggest mistake.
    Canonical sells suppport subscriptions, primarily to organizations using their server platforms. That's a common Linus business model. Red Hat and Suse are other examples.

I don't know if Canonical actually turns an overall profit. It's not possible for them to make money from desktop Ubuntu.

If you go with a distribution that claims to be purely "community" driven, remember that none of them take a vote among their users about design choices. They can't, because they really have no idea of who their users are. Choices are always made by the inviduals given that responsibility.

As users, our freedom rests in our abililty to go elsewhere, as you are doing. The primary impetus, however, for the "freedom" in FOSS comes from the development side.

When a Linux distribution or a desktop environment make changes that some subset of users do not like, complaints that "they've stopped listening" and that "they have removed features that users found helpful, and replaced them with ones that frustrate and annoy" become commonplace. While those complaints are legitimate as far as the complainers are concerned, they aren't legitimate for the users who like the new approaches. Neither group should assume that their wishes are being ignored *or* heeded.

More than any other Linux distribution, Ubuntu offers a user more choices of *easily* installed interfaces. If the Unity interface does not please, then alternatives are there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

sounds like someone really likes their ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I haven't posted in other parts of this forum, save for the "HELP! I blew my machine up!" sections.

My experience with Ubuntu has been very positive. People most often are afraid of CHANGE. Ubuntu has embraced change gracefully and has provided excellent support along with it. When I first switched to ONLY Linux several years ago, it was a pretty huge learning curve. I went with Debian first. That was a bit much for me, so a friend suggested Ubuntu and I have been here ever since.

Enter the new LTS release. I rather like Unity. I was excited for the new release, but my poor laptop couldn't handle Unity's hunger for resources. So I just made the switch to a different desktop environment with Xubuntu. I really like IT too! I've installed Mint before, and liked it too, and lo and behold it's based on Ubuntu. I think Linux' greatest advantage is the ability for the user to choose which distro he/she likes most and further customize it personally. No two Linux machines would be the exact same.

Sure, I'm constantly learning new things and sometimes reaching out for help. But hey, at least there are people willing to SUPPORT in their spare time and research YOUR problems and offer you solutions to fix them! That's what is so great about the Linux community. It's not always necessarily the 'Linux' part, but the 'community' part.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I had a really neat reply written for this post but I think I'll just keep my mouth shut!

@craig10x on the intel stuff
    +1
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

now that is funny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, every experience is valid. If it happens on your PC and in your experience, that's real.

Ubuntu 12.04 has been very stable and friendly on my machines. I look forward to upgrading to 14.04 when I finally get some free time.

Some other distros I've tried have been equally stable. And certain others have been flaky and unpleasant -- but I know they're favorites of some users.

It's great to have so many possibilities. No worries.
    Last edited by PondPuppy; April 30th, 2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

Most have had either no or few problems running ubuntu...perhaps it's the hardware you use...i keep buying intels every time i need a new computer and ubuntu installs and runs beautifully on every one i have had so far...
    I have installed/run ubuntu on all kinds of machines (Nvidia, AMD, INTEL) and mostly they all work fine. I think as long as the hardware is not too old or too new or too exotic Ubuntu would handle it well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast