Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Leaving

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm Leaving

I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04, and I'd always found it an excellent OS. However, in recent years I've seen a dramatic downfall in terms of stability and usability. It just seems to be getting worse with every new release.

The last straw for me has been the complete uselessness of what is supposed to be a Long Term Support release, 14.04. My desktop crashes periodically, weird things happen such as icons disappearing and Unity freezing. It won't let me install the proprietry Radeon Mobility drivers, which means my display suffers from lag and jerkiness. In order for me to have a stable system I would have to go all the way back to 9.10.

Unity was a mistake. Using the Dash to advertise was a mistake. Pushing proprietary software through the Software Centre was a mistake. Closing U1 was, you guessed it, a mistake. What the hell is going on? I'll tell you what's going on. Canonical are pushing hard to become the new Apple Inc. They've invested so much energy into other markets they've let their Desktop fall by the wayside. I really could go on all day, but I won't.

I personally don't see any way back for Ubuntu, or Canonical, so I'm off to Linux pastures new.

I've had a lot of assistance within the community, and for that I'm grateful.

Regards,

Flux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I'm Leaving

I find your post interesting, the last time I used Ubuntu was about 5 years ago, using 9.04. This just worked for me. I had a system I really liked. I switched to Linux Mint and have had a few minor issues but as you stated, the forums are great. I have found much help here and it has been very quick. I recently installed 14.04LTS (Xubuntu) and it seems at least 70% of the time I log on, Ubuntu crashes, very few details on what caused it. I have and still have issues with the software center. I believe as you stated that as a LTS, I should not be experiencing this. I will probably move to Linux Mint Debian or Debian itself. I have been using LM13 version for quite awhile and that is stable too. LM17 is supposed to be a long term support edition to be released late May of this year. Good luck with your transition.

Beans

It's worth noting that you don't have to run Ubuntu to participate in these forums. I've been running Arch on my laptop for some time now, I come here for the conversation and the free cookies.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    It's worth noting that you don't have to run Ubuntu to participate in these forums.
    It's worth noting that you don't have to run Ubuntu to be part of the Ubuntu community.

I'm a very happy Kubuntu user with three Kubuntu installations with very few problems that affect my day to day usage and it's been that way for some time now.

Other Ubuntu flavours are of course available - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors.

Beans

Best of luck with your transition.
    Remember to ask for your purchase price refund from Canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

LOL, now that is funny. I knew it wouldn't be long until a similar comment would get on here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Best of luck with your transition.
    Remember to ask for your purchase price refund from Canonical.
    So is the implication here that because Canonical don't charge a fee for Ubuntu that I should be somewhat grateful for the use of software that grinds my hardware to a halt.

Other distros exist that do a much better job than Ubuntu and they are run by a team of volunteers who are not trying to spin a profit from Open Source software. Rather, they distribute freely with a Pay It Forward kind of philosophy.

If anything we should all be more critical of Canonical, given the fact that they are a business and that they are making money from Linux, irrespective of the fact that they still offer their desktop distro free of charge - a position, I believe, they will not adhere to ad infinitum, despite what their "manifesto" says.

The above should be reason enough, but as an aside I've made several donations to Canonical over the past seven years in support of Ubuntu, as well as purchasing merchandise from the web store. I'm not alone, either. The fact is that Canonical DO make money from Ubuntu, from many revenue streams. In recent years they have removed features that users found helpful, and replaced them with ones that frustrate and annoy. They've stopped listening, and for me that is their biggest mistake.

They are over-reaching. They should shut up shop and turn Ubuntu over to the community. Linux certainly can compete with Windows and OS X, but that doesn't mean it should. By trying to bring it into line and target these other users I feel their bending and twisting it in ways it doesn't like.

Having installed Linux Mint 16 on my laptop, I feel it's breathing a sign of relief. Already Mint seems to me the way Ubuntu should be. It's very snappy, it's fresh and it just works - and, more importantly, lets me work!

Surely I'm not the lone voice of dissent here. I can't be the only one who has noticed the downward trend?

Flux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No...actually it's great what they are doing...and mint wouldn't be as good as it is, if it wasn't running on an ubuntu base...main difference of mint is the different desktop environment...but ubuntu itself has alternate DE's that run both in ubuntu and the community based ubuntu's as well (xubuntu/kubuntu/lubuntu)...Ubuntu is the ONLY linux distro that has a chance of becoming more then just a geeks system...one for the masses...which is GREAT...it's already started to happen...though unfortunately, Ubuntu will likely never be as big as Windows and Mac...

Unity is really a very nice desktop...if you don't mind docks and i surely don't mind them at all

Most have had either no or few problems running ubuntu...perhaps it's the hardware you use...i keep buying intels every time i need a new computer and ubuntu installs and runs beautifully on every one i have had so far...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My experience using Ubuntu is diametrically opposite! I'm Staying

A while back I started on a quest for Open Source while still running Win 7. I also had an old Dell laptop that was purchased new with Win XP installed.
    I tried to install Chrome OS on the laptop because I knew that XP would be at end of service life in a year or so. Chrome OS was a complete failure for me.
    I continued on my quest for an alternative to XP - after a month of bruising my head I found Ubuntu. The OS tested out ok on the old hardware. I decided, since
    this was a 'spare pc' I'd just blow away XP and install Ubuntu. The isntall was seemless and I've been using that old Dell ever since. I thought that I should get with
    the current release soon so I installed Ubuntu 14.04 daily build, then simply performed apt-get update, upgrade on a daily basis. The laptop is working PERFECTLY.

The Dell hardware was pretty sluggish when using Unity so I installed gnome-session-fallback (now flashback) and found this extremely useable.

I'm now dual booting my desktop Win 7 and Ubuntu 14.04. I'm planning on embracing the LTS version while installing the latest and greates in a separate partition.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro

My 2 cents worth.

Most have had either no or few problems running ubuntu...perhaps it's the hardware you use...i keep buying intels every time i need a new computer and ubuntu installs and runs beautifully on every one i have had so far...
    AND I must say, I run AMD and have never had a problem. 4 AMD machines of various vintage no problem other than on the sempron system lubuntu did the cure.

Way back when
    it was the support that sold me on ubuntu
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast