Thread: Xubuntu 14.04 on Apple MacbookPro6,2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu 14.04 on Apple MacbookPro6,2

I recently upgraded from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xubuntu 14.04, since the upgrade banner had been splashing over my screen at boot.

However, since the upgrade, the machine has been a little bit unstable with regards to the graphics (wouldn't suspend on lid-close, or wouldn't resume properly). I opted to select the recommended Nvidia driver. Since this point, I am no longer able to get a login screen. It boots to a black screen, and goes no further. I can see all the kernel messages and nothing seems to look too crazy, there's no stack traces or anything dumped (that I can see) at boot. If I use alt+ctrl+F1 (holding the Fn button to get F1 and not screen brightness), I can get a console login.

If there is a console way to fall back to the old open source driver that would be great. People have suggested that installing the Nvidia driver from their site works, and if I can get some kind of graphics running again, I'll be able to experiment. Unfortunately I'm currently in a public library with no install DVDs The open source drivers are good enough for now, I'm just programming.

Thanks in advance.

George.

EDIT #1

So I got home and just completely reinstalled Xubuntu 14.04 from scratch. It runs a lot nicer. Instead of selecting the Nvidia driver from inside the Additional Devices dialogue, I used the driver from the Nvidia website. It warned me it would disable the Nouveau driver with a file inserted within /etc/modprobe.d/. After reboot the machine ended up in a state as above, black screen after boot. No luck. It was easy to go into /etc/modprobe.d/ and remove the offending file, named something like "nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf". Reboot again and it worked.

I would however, like to run the proprietary driver such that the display buttons work and the machine suspends/resumes correctly. Using the Additional Devices dialogue to install drivers leaves the system in a worse state where I cannot get in to remove the files. Using the "init=/bin/sh" trick within grub, I was able to get a root shell, and also recover from this instance too. Here, the Additional Devices dialogue install of the Nvidia drivers creates "nvidia-331-updates_hybrid.conf" and "nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf" (symlink). Remove these and the graphics return to nouveau.

Looks like the nvidia driver is failing because of the Mac's EFI. Great
    Last edited by M1GEO; April 29th, 2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Added more information

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 14.04 on Apple MacbookPro6,2

This bug still plagues me on a daily basis. Is there any known fix for this?

Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Has this been fixed yet. Struggled with this for over a year now... Driving me mad!

Is there a way to solve this issue?!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If anyone finds this thread, the Nouveau open source driver works much better on 15.04 beta. The brightness controls work, and the machine reliably wakes from standby.

Beans

Hi George,

Thanks for persisting with your lonely posts into the wilderness! I'm about to have a go at this myself. This post seems to tackle similar issues to some of yours (certainly the brightness keys, and possibly the black screen issue). I'll let you know if I have any success!