Thread: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

Hi... It seems like both of my audio player got above issue when playing m4a files which is Apple lossless. Below are the error warning:

gmusicbrowser
    Playing error : Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in. at /usr/bin/../share/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser_gstreamer-0.10.pm line 137.

Clementine
    Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

However I can play those files with VLC but I prefer to use VLC for video only and independant audio player. I did try some workaround or fix such as removing gstreamer-0.10 etc and remove or rename the registry.x86_64.bin but no success. And yep, I installed ubuntu restricted extras.

Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Inspiron-5437
    Dual boot Windows 8.1
    Last edited by dunkuk_gelay; April 29th, 2014 at 05:24 AM.

Beans

Re: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

I believe that the gstreamer-FFmpeg pluging is not available in the stock Ubuntu Repositories for 14.04 and perhaps this is your problem. Some discussion here with a suggested fix:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/10-th...ng-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 29th, 2014 at 06:37 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I believe that the gstreamer-FFmpeg pluging is not available in the stock Ubuntu Repositories for 14.04 and perhaps this is your problem. Some discussion here with a suggested fix:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/10-th...ng-ubuntu.html
    Oh my goodness. I was following the website tutorial regarding post install but how can I really miss that. Thank you very much for the guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ah, BTW post #2 solve the issue. Thank you.

Beans

Good to hear that the issue is resolved
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/...mer0.10-ffmpeg

reports that "
    • Removal requested on 2014-01-20.
    • Deleted on 2014-01-20 by Matthias Klose lp #1253071, Remove completely gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg src+binaries, superseded by gstreamer1.0-libav

"
    I see that in my [Lubuntu] repositories, gstreamer1.0-libav is available, but not installed.

Has anyone tried this as a possible solution? - it would logically be a better one (if it works) than using the "add a ppa:", since it is available without adding a ppa, and it is gstreamer 1.0, instead of the older 0.10.

I have already added the ppa and installed the 0.10-ffmpeg, and have no time to remove it, add the libav, and test it right now...

-Scott

Beans

You can have 0.10-ffmpeg and 1.0-libav packages installed at the same.

In the case of gmusicbrowser, it still uses gstreamer0.10, so installing gstreamer1.0-libav will have no effect.
    I was reading a book about Genghis Khan when I made my account and I empathized with aspects of his life. It doesn't mean I want to kill everyone. You're taking the interweb too seriously. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Use the eye test.

Beans

Yup, it's not even in plugins-bad.
    I just switched backend on Audio tab. The advantage of "gstreamer" mode is being the only one where Equalizer is available. If you don't need it -
    "mpg123/ogg123/..." - everything works except Replay Gain, but low bitrates are accelerated.
    "mplayer" - everything works fine.
    Last edited by TBeholder; May 14th, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TBeholder View Post
    Yup, it's not even in plugins-bad.
    What is "it" in this case?
    I was reading a book about Genghis Khan when I made my account and I empathized with aspects of his life. It doesn't mean I want to kill everyone. You're taking the interweb too seriously. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Use the eye test.