Thread: Change default ubuntu screen on web server

Beans

Change default ubuntu screen on web server

Hi guys

How do i change the default ubunter web server screen on my web server.

I want it to show my web page. I have ftp but i don't know where to upload the file to.

Also i have a second account for a second website. But for some reason I can't get it up.

The web server is LAN IP is 192.168.0.7

This bring up the default screen which i want to change.

192.168.0.7/webuser1 just bring up 404 not found

Hope you can help

Beans

Please help:

Hi guys.

Two problems... i have just setup a web server and can access the default ubuntu page at 192.168.0.7. I have setup ftp on the server. How do i change the default page to my personal page?

Also, i set up an additional user Webuser1. However when i try to get to 192.168.0.7/webuser1 it just says 404 Not Found.

I was following this: http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-...web-server.htm

Can you help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HELP! Change default ubuntu screen on web server

Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic - it dilutes community effort.
    Threads merged.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic - it dilutes community effort.
    Threads merged.
    Was going to remove the one from general help as i found the server forum But thanks anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey man, I think we could use a little more info about your setup. First of all, which version of Ubuntu server did you install? If you installed any version below 14.04, your web page directory will be different than for server 14.04 or above.

In either case, you have to locate your apache2 host directory on your server. That tutorial does not seem to clarify the fact that apache is the package that is hosting your webpage, but that is what we are dealing with here. So if you installed Trusty Tahr (14.04) then the directory in question is /var/www/html. If you did Precise Pangolin (12.04) then the directory will be /var/www. Inside that directory you will find a document called index.html. That is what apache is serving up on port 80. I personally just moved that document out of the directory and renamed the site I made index.html and moved it into the directory. I have a feeling that there is probably a better way to do that, and I am sure someone on here will point it out, but I am a bit lazy, and I am only an amateur when it comes to building websites. When you move your document in the place of the existing index.html, it should server your page up.

As far as ftp goes, I used to use vsftpd, but I have never tried proftp. I personally just use SSH on my Linux machines, and FileZilla client on my windows machines to upload/download files from the server via SSH. It is more secure than standard FTP, and there is no extra setup to deal with. However, if you are trying to FTP to a server with a particular local username, you typically would not go to http://server/user, you would normally do ftp://server. Once the page loads, it should prompt you for the username and password, here is where you would type webuser1 and the password you created for that user.

Hope this helps, let me know if anything was unclear.
    "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

-Chapterhouse Dune

Beans

Hi...

More information.. well I have setup ftp using proftp.

I am using 14.04 i believe.

I keep getting this:

Code:
    ftp> put /home/jordan/Desktop/index.html /var/www/html/index.html
    local: /home/jordan/Desktop/index.html remote: /var/www/html/index.html
    200 PORT command successful
    550 /var/www/html/index.html: Permission denied
    Maybe i am doing it wrong. I am new to this.

And how do i get access to the webuser1 site?

Beans

I have just got access to the Ubuntu Default Webpage html code by doing

Code:
    root@webserver1:/home/adminjah# vi /var/www/html/index.html
    So i can change the ubuntu page... how do i completely replace it via ftp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Hickin View Post
    I have just got access to the Ubuntu Default Webpage html code by doing

Code:
    root@webserver1:/home/adminjah# vi /var/www/html/index.html
    So i can change the ubuntu page... how do i completely replace it via ftp?
    So with FTP you cannot normally load things directly to the /var/www/html directoy unless you have some screwy permissions changes made, which I do not advise. So if you can upload you page into your home directory, you can then move it using a command on the server, something like this:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/www/html/index.html /var/www
    This will move the default webpage out of the host directory.

Code:
    sudo mv /home/user/index.html /var/www/html
    This will move the page you uploaded into your home directory to the webserver's host directory. Change user in the command above to the username you are using.
    "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

-Chapterhouse Dune

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thufirhawat2 View Post
    So with FTP you cannot normally load things directly to the /var/www/html directoy unless you have some screwy permissions changes made, which I do not advise. So if you can upload you page into your home directory, you can then move it using a command on the server, something like this:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/www/html/index.html /var/www
    This will move the default webpage out of the host directory.

Code:
    sudo mv /home/user/index.html /var/www/html
    This will move the page you uploaded into your home directory to the webserver's host directory. Change user in the command above to the username you are using.
    im getting:

mv: cannot stat ‘/home/jordan/Documents/index.html’: No such file or directory

But it is defo there :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Hickin View Post
    im getting:

mv: cannot stat ‘/home/jordan/Documents/index.html’: No such file or directory

But it is defo there :/
    Sorted it Thankyou.. Now i have done that.. how do i get access to the second users site? he is under var/www/webuser1....

Thankyou

And by get access i mean show it on my browser.. I am unsure what to enter after 192.168.0.7...

Code:
    adminjah@webserver1:~$ ls /var/www
    html  index.html  webuser1
    adminjah@webserver1:~$ ls /var/www/webuser1
    index.html
    adminjah@webserver1:~$
    It is defo saved on the server...
    Last edited by Jordan_Hickin; April 28th, 2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: More info