Thread: Can't get external hard drive to read

Beans

Exclamation Can't get external hard drive to read

The hard drive is formated for mac, however it was removed incorrectly and will not register as plugged in for Windows or Mac. It will show up in linux. however I cannot get it to mount, I get the following error

Unable to access “Time Machine”

Error mounting /dev/sde3 at /media/meg/Time Machine: Command-line `mount -t "hfsplus" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sde3" "/media/meg/Time Machine"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/sde3 already mounted or /media/meg/Time Machine busy

I need help as soon as possible. I am doing this for a friend (it contains her entire collage portfolio, and she is a graphic designer and animator) who is trying to graduate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't get external hard drive to read

To mount a mac drive you will need to install hfsplus package from software repositories. You may also need hfsprogs and hfsutils, but I have never needed to use any of these so I'm not sure which are essential

Beans

thank you that lets me at least mount the drive.
    however i am still getting an error

This location could not be displayed.

Sorry, could not display all the contents of “Time Machine”: Error when getting information for file '/media/meg/Time Machine/.DS_Store': Input/output error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can you see them if you use nautilus as root with command gksudo nautilus and then navigate to the drive? Mac filesystems use permissions rather like Linux as far as I'm aware so you may be blocked as a normal user, but be able to view and copy them as root.

Otherwise I'm afraid I have no idea where to go; I've never used a mac nor had to look at a mac drive.