Thread: Virtualbox screen resolution 1920x1080 disappeared from the list

Beans

Unhappy Virtualbox screen resolution 1920x1080 disappeared from the list

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 and Virtualbox 4.1.18.

I have a VM guest running Windows 7 64 and it was working fine at 1920x1080 screen resolution.

This morning I was playing with the other resolutions at the guest window and suddenly I couldn't go back to the 1920x1080 anymore because it disappeared from the list.

I tried to reboot either the guest as well the host but the 1920x1080 resolution seems to be gone forever.

Any idea about what may happened? Any possible solution without to have to reinstall the whole stuff?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Virtualbox screen resolution 1920x1080 disappeared from the list

One thing you can try right away is installing or re-installing the Extension Pack. Make sure you use the right version. The Extension Pack is pretty much mandatory to get the best resolutions available. See if you can run 1920x1080 afterwards.

However, you should consider upgrading your Linux version to 14.04. 12.10 reached its "end-of-life" this month. Also your VirtualBox installation is quite old; the current version is 4.3.10. After you upgrade Linux, I recommend obtaining VB from its own repository; follow the instructions here. There isn't a version for Trusty yet, so use the entry for Saucy. It's working fine on my Kubuntu 14.04 machine.

Afterwards download and install the Extension Pack for VB 4.3.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 28th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

In the main VirtualBox window navigate to File -> Preferences -> Display -> change the value of 'Maximum Guest Screen Size' to Hint. Once that done you can change the width and height on the boxes bellow to whatever resolution you have for your desktop or anything else you want.
    You need to use the full screen toggle (host+F) to go into full screen. Anything else will not give the full resolution.

Beans

Slickymaster, I don't have a 'Display' option in my Preferences. Maybe it is a thing of Virtualbox newer versions?

Seijisensei, I will try to reinstall the Extension Pack. I believe that if I reinstall the whole Virtualbox it may fix the problem I just didn't want to do that. But if I had to I will update my Virtualbox to a newer version and see what happens.

I will have news very soon!

Thanks for both.

Beans

In Windows 7, I always have to install the Guest Extentions iso inside of the machine to get it to run full 1920x1080.

Beans

Yeah... I don't know what happened. It was working and suddenly it wasn't there anymore. By the way, I have the Extension Pack and Guest Extensions installed...

Anyway, reinstall the Extension Pack didn't fix it. Then I tried to install the Virtualbox 4.3.10 but it won't because there is a lot of missing dependencies. I removed my Virtualbox and will try to reinstall it to see if the 1920x1080 comes back.

Also I am downloading an ISO of Ubuntu 14.04 to see what happens in the next...