Thread: ubuntu doesnt run my vlc or you tube,or mp3,s without problems

Beans

Smile ubuntu doesnt run my vlc or you tube,or mp3,s without problems

Im runnning this 12. on same pc w xp. on the xp side, everything runs as it should both music and video.
    Here on the Ubuntu side, video & or music (flac or mp3) staggers and hesitates, speeds up.
    Any suggestions? aside from buying another pc?

I installed something called 'Wine' thinking it would help. Guess I misunderstood its purpose.
    (Ihave no idea what it supposed to do for ubuntu on my pc).

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Beans

Re: ubuntu doesnt run my vlc or you tube,or mp3,s without problems

pc stats?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu by default comes with no support for Flash and MP3 and a bunch of other proprietary codecs, if you install VLC in ubuntu (through Software center, NOT wine) it can run almost all the formats fine. And on top of that you can also install the Ubuntu Restricted Formats
    LoOp.pk - Pakistan's Photography and Photographers

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking...."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am also curious about system specs as flac should be supported out of the box.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans

ub 12.04/ Acer one Intel Atom cpu 1.33 / 2g mem /32 bit / 18 gig hd. video and sound are on motherboard. please, dont laugh, im currently unemployed so I cant upgrade these days, also on the windows xp os, all media works fine ( vlc ,you tube , etc)
    Last edited by drew14; April 13th, 2014 at 06:30 AM.

Beans

repost, a media issue still remains on my ubuntu and laptop

this is kind of a re-post,since the issue still remains, any clue how to get my medai to play ? music and video unusable on ubuntu and when i reboot to the xp side, vlc runs normal, so does youtube. just not on the ubuntu side.

'Im running this 12. on same pc w xp. on the xp side, everything runs as it should both music and video.

Here on the Ubuntu side, video & or music (flac or mp3) staggers and hesitates, speeds up. Media unable to be played.'
    (
    ub 12.04/ Acer one Intel Atom cpu 1.33 / 2g mem /32 bit / 18 gig hd. video and sound are on motherboard.)

thanks and have a good day

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: repost, a media issue still remains on my ubuntu and laptop

I would use a lighter flavour of Ubuntu on that computer. Try Xubuntu (medium light) or Lubuntu (ultra light). Those desktop environments are lighter, and also the default media players are lighter. Lubuntu uses mplayer2, which is ultra light, and can play smoothly, where other players have problems.

You probably know already that you should install the restricted extras, for Lubuntu

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras
    But there are problems with flash video, because linux is not well supported by the the owner and developer of Flashplayer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Threads merged. Instead of starting a new thread for the same issue, feel free to bump your older one (which is only two weeks old, not old at all really), but not more than once every 24 hours or so. We encourage people not to create more than one thread for the same or similar questions, because it's less confusing for both you and those trying to help you.