Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Gnome with Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Using Gnome with Ubuntu 14.04

Hello All,

I've used ubuntu briefly before, decided to go back to using it full time. Usually on the log in screen there is an Ubuntu icon I can click on to change the "shell" (is this the correct term?). The logo is not there so I can't select gnome. I suspect the reason it's not there is because it dosen't come pre-installed in Ubuntu 14.04. I've tried searching for Ubuntu 14.04 and Gnome but I can only find directions to download gnome for 12.04 and 13.10, as well as a lot of news articles saying that Gnome 3.10 will be included in 14.04 and that 3.12 is going to be relased soon.

I'm sorry for the dumb question. Can someone help me figure out how to install gnome on 14.04. Also is 3.12 working well enough to try?

I also found a Gnome release of ubuntu which I think is new. Do I have to install Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 in order to use Gnome? I just finished setting up a Win 8 / Ubuntu Dual boot and would rather not have to reinstall ubuntu.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Using Gnome with Ubuntu 14.04

Have you tried running this in a terminal?
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    Let me know if that works. I haven't tested it, but I'm installing it as I'm typing this post.
    Last edited by jmbell; April 28th, 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you tried running this in a terminal?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    Let me know if that works.
    Last edited by jmbell; April 28th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Sounds like your after the old gnome desktop look. To install it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Although the method commented in the previous post should work, why not install Ubuntu Gnome from the start? Also keep in mind that if you try just adding the Gnome desktop to a vanilla Ubuntu you should first do

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Last edited by Vladlenin5000; April 28th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

I thought that you were not to mix the two any more and that why they were seperate ISO.

Beans

Yes, Ubuntu Gnome has its own iso and its own spin of flashback. All based on gnome-shell.

Ubuntu/Unity install also has its flashback session that runs on either compiz or metacity.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/gn...sion-flashback

Beans

I am running Gnome under 12.04, but would like to move to 14.04. I have seen previous posts saying not to use gnome under 14.04 and have followed up to ask for the issues, but not received any reply.

Vladlenin5000 / ibjsb4, how does one "use gnome from the start"? Is this a separate download from the regular 14.04 or a mod to the regular download? In either case, how does one do this?

Thanks.
    I'm am old guy, but still tryin'. Your patience appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJones View Post
    Hello All,

I've used ubuntu briefly before, decided to go back to using it full time. Usually on the log in screen there is an Ubuntu icon I can click on to change the "shell" (is this the correct term?). The logo is not there so I can't select gnome. I suspect the reason it's not there is because it dosen't come pre-installed in Ubuntu 14.04. I've tried searching for Ubuntu 14.04 and Gnome but I can only find directions to download gnome for 12.04 and 13.10, as well as a lot of news articles saying that Gnome 3.10 will be included in 14.04 and that 3.12 is going to be relased soon.

I'm sorry for the dumb question. Can someone help me figure out how to install gnome on 14.04. Also is 3.12 working well enough to try?

I also found a Gnome release of ubuntu which I think is new. Do I have to install Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 in order to use Gnome? I just finished setting up a Win 8 / Ubuntu Dual boot and would rather not have to reinstall ubuntu.

Thanks for the help!
    If you install 14.04 with Unity and then add Gnome-shell, you also have to add:-

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    I found it on the ask ubuntu site with a fuller explanation http://askubuntu.com/questions/45238...ome-shell-icon

Beans

Vladlenin5000 / ibjsb4, how does one "use gnome from the start"? Is this a separate download from the regular 14.04 or a mod to the regular download? In either case, how does one do this?
    Post #4 is how I do it and then choose your desktop at the login window.

I do not run gnome-shell, someone else will have to guide you on that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast