Thread: Will Ubuntu Software Centre end?

Beans

Exclamation Will Ubuntu Software Centre end?

I am a new Linux user and very fresh to this comunity so I dont know too much well how things works (actually I dont know if this is the rigth place for this subject).

Anyway, I am aware about the Ubuntu One closure in the next 60 days or so and actually I dont care about this since I am not a cloud storage user. However I was wondering if other services will stop along with it such as software centre. In my case I would miss it because it really makes the search and install of apps a breeze.

I tried to find some news about this online but couldnt. Any idea?

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Will Ubuntu Software Centre end?

Ubuntu one cloud storage and ubuntu software centre are completely different things. Ubuntu software centre or some form of it will not end untill ubuntu does and the backend will exist as long as debian or some form of it does.

It is just the package manger, or even just the front end of the package manager, there are others such as synaptic package manager. Ubuntu one was for users to store files like dropbox. Ubuntu software centre manages the packages you have on your system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to OS Chat.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I also prefer to use the software centre for installing and removing applications. You may not be aware of it but there is a lot of encouragement for people to write applications for Ubuntu. There is a Ubuntu Software Development Kit (SDK) under development which makes it easy to package applications for use in Ubuntu and the SDK also makes it easy for a developer to get their application accepted in the software centre.

The main focus of this development is towards Ubuntu phones/tablets with a special phone/tablet software centre. But the intention is to merge the Ubuntu code base for phones/tablets into the Ubuntu desktop code base. And this means that phone/tablet applications will also run on the Ubuntu desktop. It may be that Ubuntu Software Centre will be replaced by Ubuntu Software Store. But one thing we can be sure of is that there will always be a utility that makes it easy to install applications in Ubuntu.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Red face Re: Will Ubuntu Software Centre end?

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Ubuntu one cloud storage and ubuntu software centre are completely different things. Ubuntu software centre or some form of it will not end untill ubuntu does and the backend will exist as long as debian or some form of it does.

It is just the package manger, or even just the front end of the package manager, there are others such as synaptic package manager. Ubuntu one was for users to store files like dropbox. Ubuntu software centre manages the packages you have on your system.
    Cool, thanks, good to know! I am a total idiot regarding to the *nix universe and all of this is so new for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not to worry...only the cloud service is going away...but there are plenty of others available out there (i switched to google drive myself)...

Beans

The Sodtware Centre is just a gui front end, and not a particularly good one IMO. It is slow, lackng in useful information and too much useless junks (rating??) I always use synaptic + gdebi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

when software center stops Ubuntu stops. and when ubuntu stops... - well there is a fund setup to keep it going even after it "stops"
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup