Thread: 14.04.1 lightdm-gtk-greeter issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

14.04.1 lightdm-gtk-greeter issues

Ok I'm running a 14.04.1 LTS Ubuntu built-up from the netboot mini.iso with XFCE4 (not Xubuntu) as its DE.

Everything works perfectly but lightdm-gtk-greeter seems to be quirky about certain things, and this is something that didn't happen when I ran vanilla Ubuntu and vanilla Lubuntu.

So far:

-Changing the BG through /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf doesn't work, and it used to on vanilla distros.

-Disabling the guest account via
    Code:
    sudo sh -c 'printf "[SeatDefaults]\nallow-guest=false\n" >/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-no-guest.conf'
    doesn't work.

-Hiding the user list via
    Code:
    sudo sh -c 'printf "[SeatDefaults]\ngreeter-hide-users=true\n" >/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-hide-users.conf'
    doesn't work.

-Enabling the manual login box via
    Code:
    sudo sh -c 'printf "[SeatDefaults]\ngreeter-show-manual-login=true\n" >/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-manual-login.conf'
    doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong? or is this an actual issue with Ubuntu or XFCE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 14.04.1 lightdm-gtk-greeter issues

Mind you, these are solutions found on help.ubuntu.com so one might expect them to actually work.

Beans

The file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf is ignored in Xubuntu for setting the greeter background, and it may inherit this behavior from xfce4. I can't say for sure, since I have no system with an add-on install of xfce environment. The rule in Xubuntu is that your lightdm greeter has the same background as your Desktop. No way you can change it that I know of. On a two user system, as soon as you choose another user from the drop down, the background switches to that of the 2nd user's Desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    The file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf is ignored in Xubuntu for setting the greeter background, and it may inherit this behavior from xfce4. I can't say for sure, since I have no system with an add-on install of xfce environment. The rule in Xubuntu is that your lightdm greeter has the same background as your Desktop.
    That would be fine, but what I get right now is just a black bg. Even then that would be ok if I could disable the guest account and switch from the drop down menu to manually entering usernames...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So after experimenting for weeks with stuff like nodm I decided to give lightdm another shot, and while I still can't get it to display a custom wall for whatever reason, I did manage to both disable guest sessions and enable the manual login.

Done the graphical way (sudo thunar) go to /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d and create a file named "50-myconfig.conf", open it with leafpad and type:

[SeatDefaults]
    allow-guest=false
    greeter-hide-users=true

This was actually a super easy fix for something so annoying. I'm guessing these problems are specific to the gtk-greeter specifically... anyway, thread marked as solved.