Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 Remote Access?

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 Remote Access?

I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on an AMD64 machine and all has been running fine. I am planning on making this my media server, and again that has worked flawlessly. I also want to run it headless... problem. I can't seem to configure XRDP or Ubuntu for my Win7 laptop to connect. All I get is the blank screen. I have searched the web, and it seems this problem is not yet solved?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 Remote Access?

It doesn't work on 3d desktops like unity. You need to install an alternate 2d desktop for remote sessions. For example, lxde or xfce. gnome-flashback with no effect should have been ideal but unfortunately it doesn't work in 13.10, not sure about 14.04

I use lxde as an alternative 2d desktop. For remote sessions to default to lxde create a file named .xession in your home with this line in it

Code:
    lxsession -s LXDE -e LXDE
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 27th, 2014 at 04:27 AM.

Beans

My wife is ripping a dvd when she finishes I will try this. I have indeed installed gnome-flashback, but maybe i have it configured wrong. I am a complete noob at linux but I have been pouring over youtube and forums for a fix.. unfortunately there isn't much yet available for 14.04. I will update after I try this.

Beans

Still no go. I used sudo gedit .xsession and modified the line as you wrote then resaved. I checked "ls -a" and .xsession is there, but it is yellow, does that mean anything? I used "cat .xsession" and the line shows "lxsession -s LXDE -e LXDE"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you install the lxde desktop?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

lol yes you did not specify that but i just typed "sudo get-apt install lxde" and it did.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i dunno if this helps you or not, but i use teamviewer if i need remote access to any ubuntu/windows pc and it has nver let me down yet. use the home edition, its free and works a treat
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Thanks, I had the same problem (with Ubuntu 14.04) and I too tried the various gnome .xsession 2d changes mentiponed online and they did not work. However, making the change you started above (and installing lxde) has resolved the problem!

Thanks again!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Did you install the lxde desktop?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman1978 View Post
    Still no go. I used sudo gedit .xsession and modified the line as you wrote then resaved. I checked "ls -a" and .xsession is there, but it is yellow, does that mean anything? I used "cat .xsession" and the line shows "lxsession -s LXDE -e LXDE"
    Maybe a permission issue? you should not sudo anything in your /home. sudo or gksudo should only be used for system tasks.

P.S. I read that xrdp actually works on gnome shell, but only on Fedora..

Beans

FYI https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1251281
    There is a proposed fix implemented in a ppa. You may want to try that out too. If it works it would be a better solution than installing lxde or worse xfce4 (too many unnecessary package duplications and xfce moreover destroys the login screen and folders icons don't show up in remote sessions,--only text wih folder names)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast