Thread: How is windows 7/8 on a virtual machine?

Beans

How is windows 7/8 on a virtual machine?

Hello guys,
    I would like to switch to ubuntu only (maybe with arch) from dual boot windows 8/ubuntu. I don't want to use wine, so I wanted to ask you, how is windows 7/8 on a virtual machine? Is it smooth and works good? I'm looking for using it sometimes for office (Because I want to work with the same software as my partner if we work toghether) and visual studio (visual studio for simple programs, university homework and so on), will it do the job well?

Thenks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How is windows 7/8 on a virtual machine?

I haven't tried Windows 8 but I have used Windows 7 in a VM. How well it works depends on your processor and the amount of RAM your computer has. Can you post the specs for your computer so people can give you advice?
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on one of my desktops, an AMD 965 quad core with 4GB RAM. I have a Win 7 VM in Virtualbox, using 1.5GB RAM. It runs fast, smooth and problem free. I use it mostly for Netflix, MS Office and, more importantly, Quicken. Yes, Quicken. Try as I might, I can't find anything else I like better. Not KMyMoney, not GNU Cash, not Moneydance ... nothing. I think Ubuntu with Win in a VM is the best of both worlds. You can still run Win, but it isn't running your machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eggnog View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on one of my desktops, an AMD 965 quad core with 4GB RAM. I have a Win 7 VM in Virtualbox, using 1.5GB RAM. It runs fast, smooth and problem free. I use it mostly for Netflix, MS Office and, more importantly, Quicken. Yes, Quicken. Try as I might, I can't find anything else I like better. Not KMyMoney, not GNU Cash, not Moneydance ... nothing. I think Ubuntu with Win in a VM is the best of both worlds. You can still run Win, but it isn't running your machine.
    You don't need VM Windows for netflix. Pipelight works very well though netflix is garbage.
    http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

Beans

Oh, I know. I've had it installed under Linux before. But I've already got the VM for other things so why not use it for Netflix, too? I generally leave the VM up in another workspace, so it's just a click or two to get there. I don't use Netflix all that often anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I haven't tried Windows 8 but I have used Windows 7 in a VM. How well it works depends on your processor and the amount of RAM your computer has. Can you post the specs for your computer so people can give you advice?
    I have 2.5 GHZ proccesor (dual-core) with 6gb ram (4gb+2gb, I don't know why they sold it that way).

And thenk you all for your help guys I really appreciat it.

Beans

My machine at work is an Athlon II X2 (Dual-core AMD 2.8GHz) with 8 GB of RAM. I run Windows 7 in virtualbox with like 1.5 - 2 GB of RAM and I hardly know it's on. The only thing that really grinds it down is disk access, especially if I try to run a second VM at the same time. Mostly I just have it for little windows-only client applications, I don't do a lot of heavy work in it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Halden View Post
    I have 2.5 GHZ proccesor (dual-core) with 6gb ram (4gb+2gb, I don't know why they sold it that way)
    I have run Windows 7 on a similar computer using virtualbox. Like lykwydchykyn, I gave it 1.5 - 2 GB of RAM. Windows 7 ran as well as a VM in virtualbox as it did as a dual boot on my notebook.

Try it if you can. That is the way to know for sure it will work for you. If your dual-core is multi-threaded, I think it will work very well.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 27th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I run a virtualbox vm of windows 7 with 3.5GB of ram on a quad-core xeon system with 8GB of ram on KUbuntu 14.04.. Can hardly tell the vm is running.. Definately no problems.. Dunno about 8, I looked at it during its beta, and gave it a pass...