Thread: [Xubuntu] Changing Icon Size in Applications Menu: How?

Beans

Question [Xubuntu] Changing Icon Size in Applications Menu: How?

Hi all.

In Xfce 4.10.0, I could easily enlarge the icon sizes in the Applications menu (xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu) by editing $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml and adding this line:

Code:
    <property name="IconSizes" type="string" value="gtk-menu=18,18:gtk-button=18,18:panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-directory-menu=24,24"/>
    In Xfce 4.10.1, which is in "trusty," the above has no effect.

I've also tried adding one or the other of these lines to my theme's gtkrc file

Code:
    gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-menu=18,18:gtk-button=18,18:panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-directory-menu=24,24"
    OR

Code:
    gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-menu=22,22:gtk-button=22,22:panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-directory-menu=24,24:directorymenu-button=22,22:panel-window-menu=32,32"
    That also has no effect.

I've also tried adding one or the other of the the above lines to $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0

That also has no effect.

I have found this page http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/applicationsmenu where it says:

You can set a custom icon size in gtk-icon-sizes with the name panel-applications-menu. The default icon size is 16px. Special widget name in this plugin is applicationmenu-button.
    However, I'm unsure if that does what I am wanting or how to implement it.

Help? Please? I very much need larger icon sizes!

Beans

Re: [Xubuntu] Changing Icon Size in Applications Menu: How?

If you use the default Whisker Menu (default in Xubuntu 14.04) you can easily change the icon size from its properties dialog for both the categories and the menu items.

Beans

It does, but Whisker Menu does not work for my work flow - I have many programs placed in to sub-menus and need to see them in a glance instead of scrolling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello, me again.
    Actually, Trusty has Xfce 4.11.1 On my install those parameters work. Run this command:
    Code:
    xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/IconSizes -s "gtk-menu=18,18:gtk-button=18,18:panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-directory-menu=24,24"
    As I posted over in the Xfce forums, this appears to be broken in Xfce 4.10.1.

Beans

That does effect the directory menu, but in the applications menu everything is still 16x16 pixels. :-\

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ewenss View Post
    That does effect the directory menu, but in the applications menu everything is still 16x16 pixels. :-\
    That's interesting. It affects both for me. You are talking about the original Xfce applications menu plugin thats added to the panel, correct?

Beans

Okay, so I have figured out the problem. Very oddly, it was the index file of my icon them.

This causes the enlarged icons to not be recognized in xsettings:

[24x24/devices]
    Size=32
    Context=Devices
    Type=Threshold

This causes it to be recognized:

[24x24/devices]
    Size=32
    Context=Devices
    Type=Fixed

Now, one has to have an icon theme that is utterly comprehensive, because icons in the Applications menu do not scale. Crazy.
    Last edited by ewenss; April 28th, 2014 at 03:47 AM.