Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Not having home is not going to be killer factor if you got into habit of taking backups. Although, I strongly advise to make one when and if you do full linux install.

And yes, you can install it on it on the other PC with same method.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I normally suggest 20 to 25GB for /. If your install is not much larger than that then there is not much advantage to a separate /home. But if over say 50GB then separate /home or data partition(s) may make more sense.

I used Ubuntu for about 3 years with just / & swap. But since dual booting with Windows quickly added another NTFS partition for shared data where I put Firefox & Thunderbird profiles & all photos (for Picasa). Then I could share data in both systems. Only when I got a new larger hard drive and planned to shutdown Windows did I add a Linux data partition. Since I have data partitions, I do not have a separate /home.

To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

If you have multiple Windows installs what is your current partitions? Windows is best in primary partitions and a second install of Windows only boots from first install or one with boot flag.
    You need an available primary partition to be the extended partition. All Linux partitions can be logical. Even a second install of Windows can be in a logical partition but it can be more difficult to repair and only boots from another primary partition.
    Grub will only show one Windows boot option as all boot files both all Windows installs are in that one partition. If second install is primary it may be repaired to add boot files and then you can directly boot both installs from grub.

To get each MS to have its own boot loader make a second primary NTFS partition and set its boot flag on, then install the 2nd product in it. Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words - Vista but all Windows with BIOS/MBR
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    Last edited by oldfred; April 30th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you have multiple Windows installs what is your current partitions? l
    From Event Viewer in Win 7:

Since I am in 7 now it shows as the C:\ but really Windows XP is the first one in the boot order since it was the first to be installed on the HD. Then came Win 7 and the other partition is for storage. I realize that Win 7 has written it's boot info into the XP file and if I take XP off the drive then 7 won't boot. I am keen to try and preserve XP, not to necessarily use it online but for the many editing programs that run under a 32 bit environment. It's much easier to simply shut off my access to the 'net when doing any music editing or photography work, than to find programs to replace all of them!

I will be studying your link to the"Multibooters" page, thanks for that.

Regards,

J T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You may just be able to copy bootmgr & BCD folder to Windows 7 and have it boot if boot flag is on Windows 7 partition. Then grub would find both. Or BCD may need repair or you may need chkdsk on Windows 7 just to update partition boot sector.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Goten0007 View Post
    Not having home is not going to be killer factor if you got into habit of taking backups. Although, I strongly advise to make one when and if you do full linux install.

And yes, you can install it on it on the other PC with same method.
    Hello Goten0007,

I am surprised to hear that I can install Linux on my primary machine partitoned for XP, 7, "storage". I read the url at:http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html and it appears that I need a standalone bootmanager like "GAG" to handle booting of the MS OS's plus Linux. Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the very lengthy article but t goes into great detail about the various tiny programs that all line up to make an OS boot up. Fascinating stuff that but a long read. The author seems to think that allowing Grub to stay on the Linux partition is the simplest way to go and allows removal of Linux with no effect on the other MS OS's.

Again, you are all more advance than I am in this particular area, so don't misunderstand my dubious attitude!

I am in no position to argue with you about this topic, I am asking all these questions so I get it right the first time to avoid a hassle I don't want or need. I was hoping to hear it CAN be done as I did on the Dell machine running XP. But right now I am a bit sketchy about trying it. Have you actually done it? I guess that's the question

Yes I have images of all my partitions on my main computer.

Thank you very much,

J Tinsby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
    Hello Goten0007,

I am surprised to hear that I can install Linux on my primary machine partitoned for XP, 7, "storage". I read the url at:http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html and it appears that I need a standalone bootmanager like "GAG" to handle booting of the MS OS's plus Linux. Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the very lengthy article but t goes into great detail about the various tiny programs that all line up to make an OS boot up. Fascinating stuff that but a long read. The author seems to think that allowing Grub to stay on the Linux partition is the simplest way to go and allows removal of Linux with no effect on the other MS OS's.

Again, you are all more advance than I am in this particular area, so don't misunderstand my dubious attitude!

I am in no position to argue with you about this topic, I am asking all these questions so I get it right the first time to avoid a hassle I don't want or need. I was hoping to hear it CAN be done as I did on the Dell machine running XP. But right now I am a bit sketchy about trying it. Have you actually done it? I guess that's the question

Thank you very much,

J Tinsby
    If you have an external usb hard drive and the Dell in question will boot to a USB device you can install that way to preserve XP. An aside I run Ubuntu on an old Dell laptop (specs in sig) and installed gnome flashback desktop environment choosing Metacity - this takes quite a bit LESS horsepower than Unity.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
    Hello Goten0007,

Thank you very much,

J Tinsby
    Before coming to Linux completely I did triple boot on machine which already had my old WinXP (5+Years) and new Win7 (1 Year). All it took me was to make a bootable USB and install Ubuntu on separate partition with right partition table, ubuntu already comes with Grub which is boot manager and it detected all 3 (Well, technically speaking it detected 2 but when selected other option I was offered good old windows booting option to boot from earlier version or win7). I've also done it with 2 windows and 2 Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora). That guide you linked is from 2007, Linux has come way too far (especially Ubuntu) from there.
    Fyi, you can also boot ISO from Grub if you need to, amazing isn't it?

Ah, btw, you can copy ''/boot/grub/boot.img (or something like that)" to your win7 and let it do the business. (I forgot where exactly I copied it to but it should be somewhere in windows boot area). Google might help you there.
    Last edited by LastDino; May 1st, 2014 at 04:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Goten0007 View Post
    Before coming to Linux completely I did triple boot on machine which already had my old WinXP (5+Years) and new Win7 (1 Year). All it took me was to make a bootable USB and install Ubuntu on separate partition with right partition table, ubuntu already comes with Grub which is boot manager and it detected all 3 (Well, technically speaking it detected 2 but when selected other option I was offered good old windows booting option to boot from earlier version or win7). I've also done it with 2 windows and 2 Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora). That guide you linked is from 2007, Linux has come way too far (especially Ubuntu) from there.
    Fyi, you can also boot ISO from Grub if you need to, amazing isn't it?

Ah, btw, you can copy ''/boot/grub/boot.img (or something like that)" to your win7 and let it do the business. (I forgot where exactly I copied it to but it should be somewhere in windows boot area). Google might help you there.
    Hi Goten0007,

Thanks for all the information, sounds like what I'd like to try will work after all.
    You are correct that the url is and old one, I was concerned about that when I was reading it. :/

Assuming others are reading this thrread, no one has tried to steer me away from trying/dloing it. When you say that "install Ubuntu on separate partition with right partition table" are you referring to the way the partition is formatted. like EXT4 or something else? Oddly enough I had just made a bootable USB to try UBUNTU 14.04 on my wife's Dell machine, it ran slowly so I just reformatted the USB thumb drive last night lol. So I chose to install LUBUNTU there and it's working fine. A great way for the wife to have internet access and not be using XP!

Since I use Acronis to make my backup images, I can use a feature called "Try & Decide" it lets you run programs you want to try before permanently installing them w/o effecting the OS. I have used it prior to this with good success, I'm wondering if the test of the triple boot would be a great way to try it and see how it plays? The "Try & Decide" will survive multiple reboots so that wouldn't be a problem.

I am anxious to try it and see what happens but I surely don't want to hose my machine that's running so well!

Do you have any experience using Wine to run Windows programs on Linux? There are a ton of them I use on XP that won't run on Win 7 64 and I'd love to be able to use them if I found UBUNTU was acceptable.

Thanks again for your interest and support!

J T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Word of caution though: In my case XP was first, win7 was 2nd and Ubuntu was 3rd in that order of installations (It wasn't planned but that was how it was and is suppose to be). I've some people try it and ending up breaking their MBR, if that happens you will end up going through lot of loops. I suggest you ''carefully'' looking at some tut's or Youtube vids for this. You're not the first to try that and believe me you wont be last. If you're going to experiment, at least try to learn as much as possible from it. Then even if it is failure, you probably wont regret it.

I used wine to run few of my favourites, but I eventually let go of it completely. It was not worth the effort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I use wine for Picasa and use the Windows version or 3.9. Some have issues with connections to google +, but we do not use that feature.

When I started converting from XP our main apps were, Internet, email, photos & financial. Started with Ubuntu in 2006 and said I soon would completely convert.

Several years before we had converted to Firefox & Thunderbird in XP. And my wife like Picasa. So changing the the Ubuntu versions was easy as we were used to the software and the differences in Linux were minor. But Google worked with wine to make it work better or acceptably. Some now say the older versions of Quicken may work partially.

For years I could not get any of the Linux apps working as well as Quicken. Part to the issue was history as I had run Quicken since DOS. And none of the Linux equivalents were as good. But several years ago a new SSD which requires AHCI and XP does not work with AHCI pushed the issues and I just converted to KMyMoney. Not as good as Quicken, but good enough. I think if Quicken came out with a Linux version I would have to think about it as part of the issue is all the old data or history.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    But if not at least gold, you will find it not worth using. Find the neared Linux app and you will be happier.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

Linux alternatives to windows apps
    http://www.osalt.com/
    http://www.linuxappfinder.com/
    http://www.linuxalt.com/
    Last edited by oldfred; May 1st, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast